The Primal Wound

Moderator: AfterAdoption

The Primal Wound

Postby weestephy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm

I was wondering whether anyone on here had read this book and whether it'll be worthwhile me purchasing and reading it too. Thanks x[/b]
weestephy

Postby ladyarcher » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 am

Hi, and welcome WeeS...........I have not read this myself, but it is referred to quite often by others on here who have read it. The opinions seem to be divided between those who find it useful and can relate a lot to it, and others who feel that its rather American slant or expressions get in the way when studying it.........if I ever see it cheap in a Charity Shop or at a Car Boot I will probably buy it, but not otherwise.

Not a lot of help I expect, but I am sure others will pick up on your query and give you better answers.

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found birth mother 1972 - sadly missed birth father who died young, but who had told his subsequent children in Canada that they had two English sisters, so when I found them it was not a shock. Finally found full sister, born 1945 and adopted separately, last year, having found out about her when I was 25, and searched for her for forty years.............
ladyarcher

Postby Highland Lassie1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 am

I have read this book and found it fantastic, could have written it myself. It helped me to understand all my feelings that I have grown up with and it explained why I felt the way I do. I can highly recommend it.

I also bought the second book "Healing the Primal Wound, Coming Home to Self", it is a much much harder read and I'm not really finding it of any benefit.

I have given my Primal Wound book to my new sister, otherwise I could have passed it on to you, it's not expensive.

HL x
Adopted at 8wks, now 41. Made contact with BM June 2010, met one sister on Saturday 28th Aug 2010, met BM on 20th October 2010, met other sister on December 2010. Now trying to establish contact with BF.
Highland Lassie1

Postby alabasium » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi - I've read it and yes it is quite American-y (and adoption is a bit different in USA - more relinquishments). However, I was a relinquished baby (a few years back now!), so read it. I think she's quite negative about adoptees actually, but I know many, who swear by this book and recognise a lot of themselves in it. Some aspects I did, but not all.

I preferred her second book 'Coming Home to Self' which is about adoptees when they're grown up. Found it a bit more research and evidence based (which is important to me, personally as I like to know that what I'm reading is half way credible).

It is an interesting read, but I'd recommend the second one, from my own experience (though it is quite a bit longer!).
alabasium

Re: The Primal Wound

Postby The Tracker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Yes I have a copy and have read it a number of times;
It was a huge help in my understanding of what caused me a very bad start in life; and went I long way to explane a
Violent and miserable childhood with my adopted parents, thrown out at 15, and a downward spiral ending in Jail;
The fact I was forcible taken from my birth Mother at 6 weeks old [In a Mother & Baby Home in 1951] I never understood the vital Bonding that I never had till I read this book.
Add very bad adopted parents; Yes this book explained a lot.
The Tracker

Return to Young People