Interesting read

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Interesting read

Postby jimi » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm reading a good book at the moment, it's called 'Family Wanted - adoption stories'. Basically it's a collection of pieces about adoption by writers who are adopted, adoptive parents or birth parents. I've haven't got very far in but so far I'm finding it interesting and very moving. Here's a bit that's written on the cover:

"The fierce love and tenaciousness of the adoptive parents is as moving as the confusion and vulnerability of the adoptees and the bitter regret of the birth mothers. Full of drama and irony, heartbreak and humour, the pieces in Family Wanted reveal profound truths about identity, family, love and belonging".

The author also says in her introduction:

"...whatever the changes in the legal status, or the psychological attitudes towards it, adoption will always exist. There will always be children born to parents who can't or won't look after them; and there will always be people who want to love and nuture those children and raise them as their own. And those involved in the process, particularly those as eloquent as the writers here, will always have something to teach the rest of us.....there is a wisdom in those who have experienced adoption - they have much to show the complacent majority about the essential contingency of our own origins."

I found that a very sensitive reflection.

Take care everyone.[/i]
jimi

Postby jimi » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:37 pm

Hello everyone,

Since I wrote my original post I've been dipping in and out of this book. Finished reading it now and just wanted to recommend it again. Some really interesting stories, some that will provoke strong feelings no doubt. All any of us can do is tell 'our story' as we see it, and that is what the writers in this book do, whether they are the adoptive or natural parent, or the adopted child.
jimi

Return to Links