Help me find her

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Help me find her

Postby jonhope » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello Everyone I have only just joined the forum and I am in exactly the same position as many others. I have searched so many different sites for advice and info but am no closer to finding my half sister than when I started. She- Patricia May Slim was born in Birmingham 27 Feb 1938. I cannot say when she was adopted but when my mother was married in 1943 Patricia was no longer with her, though we have been told by the person who first informed us of Pat [a member of Pat's fathers family] that Mother was seen at the door of another member of Pats fathers family with a toddler by her side[no year] I have her BC but no adoptive name. I have followed the advice of many people but that name is evading me. I have been pointed towards a local woman by several people but I do not have her maiden name and I am unwilling to approach her for fear of doing more harm than good. For me finding about her life is what matters. This could have possibly been made easier if the woman who first broke the story to us via my brother[who was building a family tree on-line at the time] had stayed in touch,but for some reason she disappeared off the radar?? and we have no way of contacting her Can anyone advise me or add info? Would be eternally grateful.....................jonhope
jonhope

Re: Help me find her

Postby Donotunderstand » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 am

HI, I have looked at the following free search site and have found Patricia Slim's birth

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

but not found anything else yet. Was she adopted or just taken in by her fathers family? I believe it was quite common for children to live with extended family in those days. Perhaps you could search the above site for the name you have been given. If you'd like to share it with us (by private message if you'd prefer) we could try to make some connections.

Good luck.
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby Donotunderstand » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 am

Hi, I have been digging around and have some possible names for you. Do you have birth fathers name? That would be helpful to show if I was on the right track.
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby jonhope » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello donotunderstand-Love the name, could have been mine. Thanks so much for taking time and interest, this revelation has taken over my life, am desperate to bring it to conclusion. I have a copy of Patricia May's BC, on it is an appendix with the word adopted but there is no date, just the name of the Supt Registrar W.F Horn......My late Mothers maiden name was Margaret Anne Slim. Birth date-07/11/1915. Patricia May's father was Harold Williams from Hales Lane Warley Worcestershire [as it was then,now it is Smethwick Sandwell]. Mom mentioned her old boyfriend from Hales Lane [never his name]a few times telling us he was involved in a motor accident in which someone was seriously injured. Fearing he would face a possible prison sentence he left the country and joined the French Foreign Legion.We all,at the time,took this with a pinch of salt....until we were informed of Patricia May by a member of the Williams family and the Legion was mentioned.
My brother while researching all concerned decided to search Foreign Legion records,and there he found the story of Harold.Not only was he in the legion but during the war he transferred to the French Army where his heroics won him the highest military honour, which was presented to him by Charles De Gaulle. Anyone reading this and doubts it-research it.....ABSOLUTELY TRUE.....But did he leave the country because of a car crash, or was it the fear of parenthood??? With regard to the local woman who, members of the Williams family, believe is Patricia. I will PM you her name and that of her husband as I feel it would be wrong to mention it on a public site.
jonhope

Postby Donotunderstand » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm

How interesting! I will take a look at the foreign legion records sometime. I have gone completely off track and made some wrong connections so I will start from scratch. I have received your email and am working backwards from the names you have given me. Here's hoping I get the right answers now.
Donotunderstand

Postby ladyarcher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 pm

A real detective story, can't wait for the next episode.......you could research the car accident perhaps from archives for any local papers for the area.......car accidents in the 1930s would probably have been worthy of a report in the paper, and especially so if someone was badly injured, and the 'perpetrator' fled the country......

I found an amazing story of a train accident hand written in the Family Bible, of my a.mother's family.....some years ago I posted about it on Genes Reunited, and someone on there sent me details of it, and also had researched how one of the two lads were related to my a.mother, albeit that he had died before she was born.......can't remember the relationship now, but I think he was a cousin to my a.mother's grandfather......

Anyway, it just shows what can be found in old newspapers.......

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946
ladyarcher

Postby Donotunderstand » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 am

Hi,

I have found records of two marriages with the names that you have given me but neither of the women have the same birthdate as your sister and they were married in the South of England. I wonder if the member of the Williams family who was making the family tree had evidence that the lady in question is Patricia - I think they must have found something to make them think that but they maybe had more resources than I have. If you go onto www.genesreuinted.co.uk you will find a few members "trees" showing your mums name - I have not followed this through but if you join you will be able to ask these people about their trees. There is also a community board on there where you can get help from some very experienced genealogists. Another route to take would be to contact the social services department in the area where your sister was born as they may have some record of the adoption. Also, I think After Adoption itself has a tracing service so it might be worth contacting them. Otherwise, maybe the person who came up with this info has their family tree on Ancestry.co.uk and you would be able to get in touch with them. You can search for free for 14 days before having to pay a subscription.

Good luck in your search, I hope you can go further with this.
Donotunderstand

Postby jonhope » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for your efforts. I have often visited the sites you mentioned but to no avail. not to worry though, I have found the name of the home in which mom was living at the time. It was The Hostel a home for young females...monument road edgbaston birmingham. The matron was miss O.F.Pitt. I will contact the relevant DSS. Will keep you informed. Thanks again. John
jonhope

Return to Searching