search for original name

Moderator: AfterAdoption

search for original name

Postby home ed is fun » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 pm

hi everyone i havnt been on in ages and i'm hoping someone may be able to help my search. i have started to try and find my daughters father (hes the adopted person) original birth certificate. unfortunatley he refuses contact with his daughter and she is on the wrong side of the adoption family being the daughter of the adopted person so not allowed on any search registers.

i have started going through the birth index writting ALL names for the right area and quarter down then just searching those where the mother has the same surname to start with. so far that is only 18 names out of 7 micro fiche of 18.

i know he was born on the 17 april 1969 in newcastle upon tyne in the wingrove area probably newcastle general.

HOW do i put a date of birth to the names i have tried ancestory and it either sends me to the info i already have or there is none and only one came up with a date of birth on the death register.

any suggestions would be great. this is important to my daughter and her half sister.

i no longer have access to the internet at home so will check when at the library.

thanks in advance
home ed is fun

Re: search for original name

Postby Turtle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm

This is a tricky one. You can't actually track down actual dates of birth on line, only births by quarters. So you can search within the quarter and come up with a potential list of names. (As you have done). After that it is down to trial and error and buying the birth certificates that are most likely. I have to admit I have a small stack of certificates that turned out to be the wrong ones. It is frustrating, but I don't know a way round it.

Out of interest, I tried looking up my own date of birth on Ancestry to see what happened. I came up with pages of results, none of which were to do with me. Also, on my birth certificate I am listed as unnamed female. This isn't as uncommon as I was lead to believe. I went to the birth index, where I was listed as (female) "surname". So then I tried the main birth searches on Ancestry using (female) and my date of birth. This again came up with loads of answers, but not actually the correct one.

One way forward might be, and I know it is going to be time consuming, but to try and then go forward with some of the names that you have found and to look up marriages. This might throw up some answers that look more promising, mainly as it might rule some people out.

The other thing to do is to look up some of the potential names on the ancestry trees, as if you get some matches, it might rule people in or out.

Another time consuming long shot, is to put the names that you have found into facebook. See if you can find some of the people and maybe some actual dates of birth. (People on facebook seem to like to list their date of birth).

I think, in your case, it is about eliminating names and seeing what you are left with.

Sorry I can't be more help, but good luck with your search.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Something else I forgot to mention. When I looked up my name on the birth index, the number at the end was crossed out and a new number entered. I don't know if this is because of the adoption and a new certificate being issued. It could be. It might be worth taking note of any names on the birth index where the number has been altered, in case this is important.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

These numbers are a bit odd......in my case, and that of my full sister, a year younger than I, and my considerably younger half bro. our numbers stayed the same on our original birth certs. and our adoption short certs. in our new names.........so, at a point in history, the numbers assigned to us followed us. For those of us born in the war, or while rationing was still in force, when the National Health Service was set up, our National Health number was the number from our ration books.....this number stayed with people until a few years ago, when the Medical Records were computerised, and presumably the number system did not work in computer language, so everyone in the country had their NHS numbers changed.......thereby eliminating a way of following a 'paper trail' for adoption.......the numbers, I am not sure of the exact formation of the numbers and letters, but they sort of worked by each family had a number and letter, and each child of the family had the next consecutive number.....so if you were an adoptee who had older half siblings, your number would still be a number that went with that family, because you were given it at birth and it did not change with adoption......I am talking about older people and older adoptees......how things went on later, i.e. the 1950s 1960s etc...... I don't know.....

LA
ladyarcher

Postby home ed is fun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:55 pm

thanks for the replies. now finished all the micro fiche and now also know that they also changed his christian name as there is not one person with his name showing up. that would have been so much easier. i now also know that the "s" is for adoptions or where info was changed. have approximatley a list of 30 potential people to go through were mothers maiden name and childs surname are the same or where the is an "s" attached to the end of the file so hopefully will not be to bad. would have been easier if the council hadnt hidden there registrars :( as they were so helpful. now time to go through as many search engines as possible etc to try and eliminate any names possible. will put a full list up when i have them listed seperatly as some people on here may have been born in Newcastle Tyne and Wear in the June Quarter 1969. will let you know how i get on
home ed is fun

Return to Searching