Adoption file how long

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Adoption file how long

Postby ctassell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello I am new to this,

My dad was adopted in 1963, we think the agency used was barnardos, we applied to GRO filled out the form etc, I spoke to GRO today, they said they had my dads paperwork on a desk and they was sending the relevant docs to our local authority today which is Essex county council. We know he has to have a meeting etc. he already knows his birth name etc put wants to piece together his life before he was adopted. So if any one has had dealings with Essex county council regarding this matter, or anyone know if barnardos are quick with finding files. Also how long do you reckon we could be waiting, any help would be very much appreciated

Many thanks
ctassell

Re: Adoption file how long

Postby ladyarcher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 pm

I don't know how fast Essex works, but from many posts on here you will read that local authorities can take a very long time, months usually, and can run to over a year.......this is of course very upsetting and frustrating as people have often spent a long time working up the courage to do things, then to have to wait 'forever' is very disheartening..........however a few people have been lucky and get replies and interviews within a reasonable time, so hopefully this may apply to your father........

As your father has his birth name there is no reason why he should not apply for a copy of his original birth cert. which would give him his birth mother's name and address at the time of his birth.......from that he could find out if she had subsequently married, had more children, still be alive.........probably he would be able to find her if that is what he wants from his search........he can also put himself on the Govt. Adoption Contact Register .......this is not very expensive and is simply a 'sleeper' register which you leave your name and details of who you are looking for........and if they look too, then you can be put in touch......either directly, if that is what you choose, or via a 'go between' who could be a friend, or your solicitor, or Dr. or Minister etc.......my own notification when trying to find my full sister was on the register for 15 years before she started looking and her search triggered the message that I had put there 15 years earlier.........

The thing to remember if your father goes totally down the local authority route, is that the 'file' may contain a lot of information, it may contain practically no information of the sort he wants.........and also.......and this is most important .........is that the 'file' was never written for the adopted child to read......it was written to persuade a Court to allow the adoption ........so it may say things like 'the mother willingly agreed to give the child for adoption', or 'the birth mother happily allowed the adoption of her child'.........and other similar phrases ..........what actually happened was that a girl or woman was told constantly that her child would be better off and happier and have a better life, if she gave it up ........who would not 'happily' give up their child if they were constantly told this ...... of course, any mother would want her child to have a good life, and have the best of everything, especially as she would know that she could not provide all the 'best' material things .......... she would often be made to feel selfish and wrong if she wanted to keep her baby.......

....people reading files that say 'gave up willingly' or 'happily', will often think, or feel that their mother did not want them.........and that will make an adoptee stop at that point and not go right through to find the b.mother.........very sad, because usually the b.mother has longed for years to know that her child is well and happy, and that in giving the child up she has given it a good life..........

So, your father does not have to go through the local authority, or Barnadoes, if he wants to do it all himself .......... but if he wants to keep a little distance from things to start with, then he can go through the local authority.......or, I think, he can contact Barnadoes direct and ask if his adoption or anything about him is in their archives........good luck and tell him to keep coming back here for help and support......there will always be someone who has had similar difficulties or experiences and can help...........

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found b.mother 1973 - sadly missed b.father who died young, but who had told his subsequent children that they had two English sisters, so when I made contact with them in Canada they were not shocked........four years ago finally found full sister, I had known about her since I was 25...it took me forty years to find her........she knew nothing about our b.family, and did not know she had a full sister......we are now good friends and have a lot of laughs.......
ladyarcher

Postby Jackb72 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi Ctassell

I'm currently searching. I was born 1972 so had to see a counsellor before receiving my file. When the file has been requested it goes to the counsellor and is vetted for 3rd party info, returned to the authority of issue to then be vetted. Once they give the thumbs up your dad will be able to have his file. I had my fist visit to counsellor mid feb received my original birth cert a couple of weeks later requested my file which landed at the councellors desk 21st may, returned to authority for vetting and I now waiting for a thumbs up.

It all depends on which authority it is.

What my counsellor did tell me was that my file had come through really quick so that makes 21/2 months

Hope that helps
Jackb72

Postby ctassell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank you so much for replying. My dad has had his letter from our local authority. Stating that they have the information from GRO to start searching for my dads records. But they said he can apply first to see a social worker to recieve relevant information to obtain orignal birth certificate. Surely this can't be to long of a wait can it? I really hope not
ctassell

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:36 pm

As I said in my previous answer, your father can apply for a copy of his original birth cert. himself, because he knows his pre adoption name, and presumably he knows his own date of birth........very occasionally, going back a fair way, adopting parents would use the date of the adoption as their adopted child's birthday, and this could cause confusion...........but this is pretty much impossible now because of all the computerised records that we have.....

So, as I said before, your father can do all his own research in so far as 'facts' are concerned.......and if he does decide to meet and talk to any of the people in his birth family, then he will get various versions of what happened at the time....... but remember each person will have their own 'take' on events, depending on how close they were to the event .............so some versions may be more accurate than others........

LA
ladyarcher

Return to Searching