if only it was easier to search

Moderator: AfterAdoption

if only it was easier to search

Postby home ed is fun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:30 pm

i havnt been on for a while. had loads going on, drama with my daughter and her father wasnt good. so theres no way he will help her search for her grand parents something both my daughter and her younger half sister want to do.

i would start now BUT there is so much that could go sooo wrong that all the time spent searching could be totally wasted and theres no way i could afford to pay someone to do this.

i know what area he was born and hopefully his birth date was not changed so that helps but that still leaves quite a few names to go through then all those names need to be whittled down to hopefully find the correct name. what happens if they did his birth registration late for what ever reason as it can happen, rare i know but there could have been all sorts of reasons. he was born on 17 april 1969 as far as i know but how possible that he may not be in the june quarter?

i know from when i knew his adoptive parents (no cant ask for there help either) that he was adopted as a baby yet when i got his adoption certificate for my daughter he was actually about 2.5years old when the adoption went through. so either they fostered first then adopted but class the fostering period as part of when they were adopting him or his natural mother fought to keep him, these are the only 2 possibilities i have been given unless someone can come up with another reason?

the thought of going through 11 fishe at the local library and hoping not to miss of any names is going to take ages. i would have gone via ancestry but if you put in date of birth, area born and sex it doesnt give you just that time and area which means about 5000 or more names to go through, however once i have all the names written down then ancestry would be good for whittling down the names to see who is married or died then things like facebook etc for finding everyone else.

so as you see thats a lot of searching just to find his original birth name before we can search for grand parents so my daughter and her half sister can learn about their heritage.

if anyone has an easier way please let me know this is important to both my daughter and her half sister.

thanks for reading
home ed is fun

Re: if only it was easier to search

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

There could be more reasons why your OH was not adopted until he was two and a half.......as you say, he could have been fostered, perhaps privately while his b.mother tried to get a job that would enable her to look after him........she may have spent a long time hoping that she could eventually have him back..........it could have been that his b.mother did not 'release' him until she was very sure that she was unable to care for him.....she may have actually tried to care for him herself for that time, and eventually had to give up as hopeless.....she may have asked for help, and asked for him to be taken into care, and then found it impossible to get him back...............another possibility is that his b.father's name was on the birth cert.......you will know whether this was so of course as you have a copy of the cert............however if it is on there, then there had to be permission for the adoption from both b.parents......if the Authorities could not find a b.father then a certain amount of time had to pass in order to look for him, and for adverts. to be placed to give him a chance to turn up himself........at the time of my adoption, 1946, that time given was six months....... but it may have changed or indeed not even exist now......

You say you have got his adoption cert.......did that have his birth name........... if you have your husband's birth name, then you also have his b.mother's name, and some addresses........ I would think that you could therefore get his b.mother's parents' marriage record.........it would be pretty unusual for a birth to be recorded wrongly, and you can always write to the actual local registry office for a copy of the cert....... as well as getting - or already having - one from the Central Registry .........he should be in the June quarter.......... if you don't live far from London then you could go to the Central Registry at Kew......... you would then be able to look in the register that has the 'new' names of adopted children.......and check the dates in that register with the ones that you know........

If you are a member of Genes Reunited then there are helpful kind people on there who will do 'look ups' for you..... they are amazingly skilled and quick at it,and have of course got subscriptions to all the Ancestry type sites so can cross reference things........ people have found old friends for me, particularly one old friend who had remarried several times, having been widowed and divorced more than once and moved all over the country.........I was able to find her and have a nice catch up on news for the past 25 years..........

........ they also were able to check on the number and dates of birth of the children of my b.mother......... there was a gap where another baby could have been born and I wanted to see if there was another half who needed tracing that I had not known about......there wasn't ......... but all the rest of us were listed in the right order with the right dates of birth, and also the record of b.mother's second marriage was there............I am not a member of GR now, but I don't think it is very expensive to have the basic membership where you can read the forums, and post on them, and send and receive messages.......if you want the whole package with being able to look at records yourself then I think it is quite a lot more........ but just to be able to ask others for help used not to cost much..........

I wouldn't put too much faith in information that he was adopted as a baby, people tend to have selective memories about such things, and one person's baby is another person's toddler ......... you have proof that he was not adopted as a baby anyway.........I realise that I may have misunderstood you and you do not have his birth name........if so, I am sorry, and some of my info above will not be of help to you.........

LA
ladyarcher

Postby home ed is fun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 pm

hi LA unfortunately i dont have his birth certificate which is the biggest hurdle. also wonder if his DOB could have been changed which would put him in another quarted either the January or September quarter before i start the very long task of trying to sort through all the names to try and find his. i have tried via his christian name not that common even today but with no luck so they must have changed it when they adopted him.

the local registrar looked at all the possibles but with no luck so unfortunatley it looks like the long way. i dont mind the research just not when i could be missing something that could be important. its a needle in a hay stack search just wish i had a magnet to get to that needle quicker lol. at least there are only 11 fishe to go through so could have been worse and i know the area of his birth so that helps just wish there was an easier way then going through micro fishe. shame someone hasnt come up with a way to just print out all the names for that quarter and area with dates of birth attached would be so helpful i'm sure someone will do that one day.

i'm probably out tomorrow so will find out when is best to start looking through all the micro fishe and hope there not to many names on there.
home ed is fun

Postby Donotunderstand » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Our daughter came to us at 3 days old initially as a fostering placement but when she was almost 11 months old when the plan changed to adoption. We spent the next year going through the assessment before going to adoption panel and being approved. So our little girl was almost 2 before the adoption order was granted. I don't know if this is relevant to 1960's but it may be similar circumstances and explain the gap between birth date and adoption date?
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby home ed is fun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm

yeah that would explain it better i think. maybe one day we will have some more info as to what happened etc. hopefully most of the info may be able to be found out without contact unless the girls wish to contact their grand mother then we will ask some one to be an intermediary until we know whats what. might actually be a good time to start going through the records with christmas around the corner more people will be looking for presents and shopping.
home ed is fun

Return to Searching