My journey so far..

Moderator: AfterAdoption

My journey so far..

Postby tfjuk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I first posted on here only a few mnths ago and had some v helpful feedback/advice from others..thanks.I now know my birth name,my bm full name and year she was born.
I had a meeting with the local council who have been v helpful though the system is v slow and should/needs to be speeded up.
I recieved a copy of my birth cert yesterday at last which if anything has left me with more questions and ive a copy of my odoption cert aswell.
I may have found info on another site(genes...) the year etc that my bm married and to whom but im not 100 % it is the right one.I now have to wait to hear back from the council if my adoption records are still avail which may give up more info.
If anyone has any tips on how i progress from here i will be grateful
tfjuk

Re: My journey so far..

Postby sazzer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi tfjuk

Is the number of entries for your BM's name quite small? If so and you know your BM's birth year then you could chance the one you have found and obtain a copy of the marriage certificate. They cost about £9 or £12 from GRO. These certificates state both peoples age and address at the time of marriage... not to mention their fathers name and occupation which could cast your desire to find out more even further. They also state the occupation as indeed will your original birth certificate so if your BM remained in the same type of job then you'd have a match there too. If there are quite a few names matching your birthmothers and her year of birth then you could equally try and cross ref them with any potential marriages between a timespan of say 18-30. Not sure how old you are but if you are in your 30's or older then most people tended to marry in that period and equally reside in the same area they were brought up so us that as a means to maybe narrow things down too.

Obtaining your file though may give you some further information in order to make a short cut though so hope it can be found.... and yes, the wheels can be extremely slow as I'm sure you will have read from others experiences but good luck and let us know how you get on. Feel free to PM me.
sazzer

Postby carolina » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi there

Are the possible bm marriages within one local area? If so, a trip to the county record office might help. There you would be able to access church records either on microfilm - or the original parish registers for free. This can be very productive when you are pretty sure you have the right people. If the family remained within one area, there may be parents, siblings and grandparents to cross reference and check. Some counties also list their marriage records online, so you can note down the churches and the years you need to check before your visit.

Good luck
carolina

Postby tfjuk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 am

thanks for your response carolina,yes only one person came up after i did a search on genes reunited with my Bm name and date of birth,i know for def her name,year and place of birth. When i did a search for marriages useing her name again only one marriage came up.
Although i can only assume it is my Bm marriage details,it is not a common surname (pinfold) and if it is her then it seems she gave birth to me in 1969 in Herts,then in 1974 moved to Wirral,cheshire to marry.
I visited local library but it seems i could not obtain any further info useing the microfisch,i was hopeing to see if i could find out the actual dob and marriage date,like you mentioned i would prob have to send off for copies of these.
my nxt search i think will be to see if there are any births in cheshire under my bm married name...
tfjuk

Return to Searching