A Question for Athens Runner

Moderator: AfterAdoption

A Question for Athens Runner

Postby ladyarcher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 am

I was wondering about the present situation in Greece........... which sounds as if it is getting truly uncomfortable for people....... will it push you into contacting your son without waiting for him to contact you.......in case he or his a.family are in need of help.......... just a thought..........I have to say that I am not really very conversant with their financial problems or rather the details and the reasons for them, but there was a man on the radio today, talking about the dire situation of his previously secure and profitable family bakery business, and whenever I hear anything about Greece it always makes me think of your son .........I know we are supposed to be in difficulties here, but it sounds as if in Greece it is far more serious.........
LA
ladyarcher

Re: A Question for Athens Runner

Postby athensrunner » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 am

Hi LA

Firstly Merry Christmas to you and thank you for your concern.

To answer your question, the situation in Greece does concerns me, but it has not "pushed" up my timetable to try to contact my son. To tell you the truth, I haven't really thought about how the Greek financial situation have affected him and the a.family... my gut instinct and from what I have learnt about them, I think they are not badly affected.

I decided on my last trip to Greece that I will wait to the summer of 2012 (he will have finished his studying then) before contacting him. I think that waiting for him to contacting me is the wrong thing to do. I have everything in "place" for approaching him next summer. I'm still not sure if he knows that he is adopted and at least if I make the approach through my friend's organisation (they are modelling themselves on Barnado's), I have the right support network in place for the both off us whatever the outcome will be.

With the Greek situation, I'm actually more worried the effect of the crisis have on Roots Research Centre, all the hard work they is doing on behalf of adoptees and trying to establish a foster care system in Greece is in jeopardy, in a time when an organisation like them are needed. The current crises has forced them to close their office but they struggle on, by working from homes or borrowing office space where they can.

Feel free to check them out http://www.roots-research-center.gr

Thank you again for your concern x
Birth mother in an international adoption

Feel free to read my ramblings as a birth mother
http://www.athensrunner.blogspot.com
athensrunner

Return to Searching