Where do I even begin?

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Where do I even begin?

Postby Oodleew » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Hey,

New to this sort of thing so really don't know where to begin in my search.
I'm trying to find my half-sister who was taken into care in 1995 when me and my younger brother went to live with our dad. Now it's coming up close to her 18th birthday(this September), I feel like I have a sense of duty in reuniting with her.

Problem is, where do I start? :?
Oodleew

Postby AfterAdoption » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 pm

A good starting point would be for you to contact the local authority which placed your sister into care, and see what their view is.

You may need to establish if you sister remained in care (with a foster family) in which case her name will still be the same as it was in 1995, or wether your sister went on to be adopted.

So, speak to a social worker within the fostering - adoption team and ask them a few questions.

Hope this is of use.

Actionline :)
AfterAdoption
Site Admin

Postby MiMi » Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi,
I think finding someone put into care and thus possibly adopted is very difficult as their details are strictly protected. Especially before they are 18 it is nearly impossible.

My advice would be to go via an intermediatry, they have the right to access adoption records etc. However I am not sure of the cost of such companies. I would imagine it could be expensive.

Extremely good luck in your search!!
XxMx
MiMi

Postby ladyarcher » Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Of course the advice from After Adoption themselves is sensible in that it goes down the official route, and it is always worth trying that.......the only problem is that it can sometimes take a long time.

You don't at this point know whether your half-sister was eventually adopted. You can find this out fairly quickly, simply by sending for a copy of her birth certificate........ you presumably know her name and her date of birth and your mother's name. Send for her certificate from the General Registry Office, you can do it on line I think, and it is only a few pounds.........

.......when the certificate comes, if she has been adopted, it will have the word 'adopted' written on it, and a signature of a Registrar attesting to the adoption........if she hasn't been adopted, then it will just be a copy of her birth cert., with her mother's name and address, and the place of birth...............as you say it is your half-sister, then there may, or may not be a 'father's name' on the certificate, depending if her father acknowledged paternity.

I am assuming that you have no contact with your mother, and are therefore unable to ask her for the information you need about adoption/fostering.

If the birth cert. does come back with 'adopted' written on it, then you will have quite a long journey in looking for her.......... one positive thing that you could do is to put a message on the Adoption Contact Register.......this is just a 'sleeper' list, kept by the GRO. The do not search, your message stays there forever, and if your half sister also registered on there, then a link would be triggered and you would both be informed........this is how I found my full sister eventually, but my message had sat there for fifteen years before she decided to search. In our case we were both adopted, but to separate parents.......

there are lots of other things that you will need to do if she has been adopted, but let's cross one bridge at a time.......find out for sure first.....

I think it is very nice that you are wanting to re-connect with your half-sister, and I hope that you succeed, and that she too is glad of your contact.......

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found b.mother - sadly missed birth father who died young.......finally found full sister after a forty year search, as noted above........
ladyarcher

Re: Where do I even begin?

Postby ladyarcher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi Oodleew.......a long time since we have heard from you........how are things going, did you manage to get your half sister's birth cert... and/or any other useful information, or are you stuck with the long search through official channels.......come back on here if you think of anything that any of us may help with.........
LA
ladyarcher

Return to Searching