Seeking writing + poetry by adopted children + young people

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Seeking writing + poetry by adopted children + young people

Postby Perlita » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Ever thought about writing about your own experience of adoption?

Fancy having your writing or poetry published in a book of writing by adopted children and young people coming out in 2008?

I would like to invite UK adopted children and young people (aged 5-20 years), including transnational adoptees, to submit pieces of writing and poetry, including one liners on what it is like being adopted, for a book that I am editing. The anthology is due to be published in 2008 by the British Association of Adoption and Fostering (BAAF).

There is no minimum length for submissions (anything from one sentence to 3000 words will do!) and multiple submissions are welcome (you may send me as many pieces of your writing as you like). Oral testimony that has been written up is welcome, as are pieces written by two or more adopted children. Writing should focus on some aspect of your own experience of adoption or on tips for social workers or adoptive parents.

The deadline for submissions is 20 July 2007 (although some late submissions may be accepted if arranged with me in advance).

I am looking for poetry and writing from adopted children and young people on a wide range of topics. For example:
memories of living with your birth family;
what it is like living in foster care;
what it is like waiting for an adoptive family to be found for you;
life story work;
moving to your adoptive family;
what it is like being adopted - the good things and the not-so-good things;
what your adoptive family is like;
having contact with your birth family members - sisters, brothers, mum, dad, grandparents etc;
your feelings about being adopted;
what is like growing up in a family of a different 'race' and culture to your birth family;
what it is like going to a support group for adopted children - the good things and any not-so-good things;
what it is like using adoption support services - how were they helpful to you?;
looking at your adoption records;
visiting your country/ town of origin or heritage;
meeting your birth family as an adult;
tips for adoptive parents;
tips for social workers etc.

I want to include poetry and writing by adopted children who were born in the UK and those who were born in other countries (eg. China, Russia, Thailand, Ethiopia, El Salvador) and then adopted by a family in the UK.

If you would like a detailed 'Call For Submissions' (this tells you more about the kinds of things you might like to write about, how long the piece of writing could be, what information I will need to know about you etc), please email me at: Perlita.Harris@bristol.ac.uk

Just to tell you something about myself: I am transracially adopted and edited 'In search of belonging: Reflections by transracially adopted people', published by BAAF in 2006.

For more information, please email me at: Perlita.Harris@bristol.ac.uk
I look forward to hearing from you!
________
Herbalaire vaporizer
Last edited by Perlita on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perlita

Deadline for submissions extended until 31 October 2007

Postby Perlita » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:06 am

Calling all adopted children and young people (aged 5-20 years) living in or orginally adopted in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales...

I am editing an anthology of writing, poetry and artwork by adopted children and young people. This book will be published by the British Association of Adoption and Fostering towards the end of 2008. I am looking for more adoptees who would like to contribute to this book.

The aim is to create a resource for adopted children and young people. It is your opportunity to write about your own experience of adoption, or to write a more general piece giving advice to or tips for adoptive parents, social workers or teachers.

Please note that writing will be published under your first name, full name or a pseodonym, whichever you prefer. I will need your contact details (but only so that I can contact you) - these will not be published in the book.

If you would like to know more, please email me at: Perlita.Harris2@btinternet.com.

If you email me with a landline telephone number, I will be happy to telephone you to answer any questions that you may have.

There is a detailed Call For Submissions that I can email to anyone who would like to know more about this project.

Or write to me at:
Perlita Harris, c/o British Association of Adoption and Fostering, Saffron House, 6-10 Kirby Street, London EC1N 8TS.

You may be interested to know that I am an adopted adult and edited In search of belonging: Reflections by transracially adopted people (published in 2006 by BAAF).
________
Cheap Vaporizers
Perlita

Deadline for submissions extended until 31 October 2007

Postby Perlita » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Please note that the deadline for submissions of writing, poetry and artwork has been extended until 31 October 2007.

I am still looking for more pieces of writing, poetry and artwork from adopted children and young people living in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales who are aged 5 - 20 years.

This edited collection of writing and poetry by adopted children and young people will be published towards the end of 2008.

If you are interested in writing something for the book I am editing or just want to know more, please email me at:
Perlita.Harris2@btinternet.com. :D
________
YAMAHA VIRAGO 1100
Perlita

DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL 11 JANUARY 2008

Postby Perlita » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:53 am

Despite receiving some great submissions :D from over 30 adopted children and young people for the book of writing, poetry and artwork on adoption that I am editing, I still need more submissions!!!

The deadline is now: 11 JANUARY 2008

Are you interested in writing about your experience of adoption?

Are you interested in writing down your thoughts and questions about adoption?

Have you any advice for other adopted people, social workers, teachers or adoptive parents?

Writing can be anything from a single sentence on adoption through to poetry and much longer pieces of writing, including oral testimony. Artwork on adoption is also needed.

If you would like to know more, please email me and I'll send you the full call for submissions.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Perlita Harris

Email: Perlita.Harris2@btinternet.com
________
@%$@
Last edited by Perlita on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perlita

Finally a submission on adoption for the book! !

Postby Perlita » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm

I've finally received a submission for the book from someone who read about the Call For Submissions on this online forum! :D

Is there anyone else out there interested in having their writing, poetry, artwork or oral testimony in print?

I've now received submissions from over 50 adopted children and young people aged 5 - 20 years and living in the UK, but I still need more!!

I will try to include in the book writing by EVERY adopted young person (aged 5 - 20 years) who submits writing or poetry for the book. You don't have to publish under your real name, your first name or a pseudonym will do.

Please email me if you'd like to know more. I will be continuing to accept submissions until the end of January 2008 (possibly later).

Perlita

Email: Perlita.Harris2@btinternet.com
________
SUZUKI TU250
Perlita

Return to Young People