Please could you help me?

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Please could you help me?

Postby Jessie » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:09 am

Dear all,
I am 13 years old and I am doing a school project on Adoption. I would like to get the views of those who are associated with adoption.

If you are an adopted child, a birth parent who has put a child up for adoption or a parent who has adopted a child, then please could you take a few minutes out of your busy schedules to fill in the appropriate questionnaire. It would be very much appreciated and any information you have will be a great help to me.

If any of you have a story to share and would not mind it going into my project then please feel free to reply to this. I am sure I will put a lot of fantastic stories into my project!

Lastly, please could you provide your name (+ surname) at the end of the questionnaire so I am able to place you in my "Acknowledgements" at the end of my project. However, if you wish to remain anonymous then that is entirely your choice.

Thank you again. Without your help, I would not be able to finish the project!

Best wishes to you all,
Jessie. Aged 13 from Suffolk, England.

Questionnaire for adopted children

1.) How old were you when you found out you were adopted?

2.) How did it make you feel? Please give reasons.

3.) Are you going to or have you traced you birth parents? Please give reasons.

4.) How much do you know about your birth parents?

5.) Has being adopted, made you want to adopt children yourself one day? Please give reasons.

6.) Do you still love your adoptive parents the same as you did before? Please give reasons.

7.) Have you got a story that you would like to share? (ie. about how you have found your birth parents etc)

8.) Please add any extra information that I may have missed. This is entirely optional.

Questionnaire for birth parents who have put their children up for adoption

1.) What made you put a child up for adoption?

2.) Which route did you take to do this? (ie. open/closed adoption etc)

3.) How old were you?

4.) Do you regret your decision in any way? Please give reasons.

5.) Have you got any children now? If so, have you told them about the child? Please give reasons.

6.) Has your child tried to contact you?

7.) Have you got a story that you would like to share? (ie. about how your child has traced you down etc)

8.) Do you wish to form a bond with your child?

9.) Please add any extra information that I may have missed. This is entirely optional.

Questionnaire for parents who have adopted children
1.) Why did you adopt?

2.) How many children have you adopted?

3.) Which route did you take to adopt a child? (ie. open/closed adoption, adopting through agency/independently etc)

4.) At roughly what age did you tell your adopted child that he/she was adopted?

5.) And why did you think that this age was the right age?

6.) Did you face any trouble whilst through the procedure of adoption?

7.) Have you got a story that you would like to share? (ie. about how you have found your birth parents etc)

8.) Please add any extra information that I may have missed. This is entirely optional.

N.B Thank you very much. I don't think you realise how important your information is to me. It is very much appreciated and I won't forget how helpful you have all been.
I hope that all your problems are solved and those of you looking for your birth parents or adopted siblings find them and have many happy memories together.
Jessie

Postby emea » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:30 pm

Questionnaire for adopted children

1.) How old were you when you found out you were adopted?

I was 8. My adoptive parents sat me down and explained.

I was too young to feel much about it, they were my parents as far as I was concerned. It has only been recently that I have had any issues with it, when I was growing up I just thought I was special.

I want to find my birth parents, I'm not sure why. I dont know whether I want to hug or punch them.

4.) How much do you know about your birth parents?

More than I should, when I was younger I searched my adoptive parents room and found their names, some records on them, and other information, Im not sure whether I feel better knowing it, but its made them more real to me.

5.) Has being adopted, made you want to adopt children yourself one day? Please give reasons.

Not at all. If I cant have children then I dont want any. It sounds selfish, I'd give a home to a child no problem, but i wouldnt class it as my child, as I've found this unfair with my adoptive parents. they couldnt have children and therefore I sometimes feel like a substitute.

6.) Do you still love your adoptive parents the same as you did before? Please give reasons.

Yes, they done the hardest part, they brought me up. I love these people, and they will always be my parents. Even though I have resentment, I'm not quite sure why, or who it's aimed at.

My adoptive parents are extremely against acknowledging the fact I'm adopted. I find this difficult to cope with sometimes. They want to be this normal family, and are over-protective of me constantly. I have to be perfect, I think they feel they have to make me the best person they can, because they have to prove themselves as parents. In my eyes they already have, but I think I have a few issues to sort out myself before I can pass judgement on them.

Hope I've been of help. ^_^
emea

Confidential

Postby John » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:09 pm

If you could provide a e-mail address i would be happy to e-mail you answers ??

maybe other people would be willing to help , but would rather keep details private than on a message board ???

John
John

Postby sooze » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi Jessie

1.) How old were you when you found out you were adopted? Known more or less all my life my parents made it no secret

I was sad wanted to why but once I got older i gradually understood by doing a lot of research
I am in the process of talking to my birth mother
4.) How much do you know about your birth parents? quite alot as my social worker left info for me for when I was older

5.) Has being adopted, made you want to adopt children yourself one day? Please give reasons. I don't know possibly I would like to help other kids that are up for adoption

6.) Do you still love your adoptive parents the same as you did before? Please give reasons. Yes no matter what they brought me up so they are still my parents

7.) Have you got a story that you would like to share? (ie. about how you have found your birth parents etc) not quite yet may be in a few months once I have actually met her

Any more help ask and i will see if I can help
sooze

Re: Confidential

Postby elly » Tue May 03, 2005 8:08 pm

John wrote:If you could provide a e-mail address i would be happy to e-mail you answers ??

maybe other people would be willing to help , but would rather keep details private than on a message board ???

John

John - click on PM at the bottom the thread, you send a message straight to the person instead of answering on line - I did

Elly
elly

Return to Young People