Have you met your birth parents or child after adoption?

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Have you met your birth parents or child after adoption?

Postby Sociologystudent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi,

I am completing a study on the affects of adoption and reunions with birth relatives. If anyone has been through this experience (meeting birth parents or children) I would love to hear from you

I am doing this because I know personally that it is a very emotional but often happy experience and want to find out more about why people do begin their journeys in finding out who they are related to biologically.

I have a list of questions that need answering and it can all be done over email or through the private inbox messages.

Obviously all names and private details will be kept confidential and it is completely up to you how much detail you wish to include. However I would love you to be as open and honest as possible in order for me to really understand the meaning of family life and how this changes when you have met up with birth relatives

I hope you can all help me, I am really passionate about this topic and think more research needs to be done to help those affected by adoption whilst they are in the process of contacting birth parents or children.

Thanks
Sociologystudent

Postby MiMi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi.
I am Michelle and am 17. Seven months ago, two weeks after my 17th birthday I foung my birth mum on facebook. I added her and a week later we met for the first time. It was definately the hardest experience of my life. I did it without my adoptive parents knowledge and was therefore very alone. I am very lucky and we have an amazing relationship. We talk everyday and meet whenever possible. My adoptive parents now know about her and they have also met. Having both sets of parents in one room was a total nightmare the very first time I don't think I have ever cried so much in my life. I hated every single second, I just wanted to run away the whole time. However over time this is starting to get easier and I hope that one day I can have them all living in harmony.

A bit of a twist to my story two days after my first meeting with my birth mum I met with my birth father. At the beggining things also went very well with him and he treated me amazingly. However as time has progressed various imformation has come to light about him and we no longer speak. This has been a huge emotional strain feeling unwanted by a birth parent is something that no-one can understand till they have experienced it. My adoptive parents have never been told about my contact with him as I believe it to be unesscessairy.

Any further info you would like ask. xxxxxx
MiMi

Postby Sociologystudent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 pm

This all sounds very interesting. Would you be happy answering a few questions for my study? I can send them via private messaging and obviously you only have to answer whatever ones you feel comfortable with but any response would really help :)
Sociologystudent

Postby MiMi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah sure. Send me any queations and I will answer them as honeslty as I possibly can. XxMx
MiMi

Re: Have you met your birth parents or child after adoption?

Postby sylvie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:54 am

Hi there

I don't know whether you still want respondants to your study, but I'm happy to add my experience if you feel it would be helpful.
Reunited with my beloved son after decades of separation which began when I was a young teenager and he was newly born, and finally ended a few years ago when we met again as fully-grown adults.
sylvie

Return to Young People