100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 7

i want to find my family

Postby jazmin_latino_pride » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:08 pm

im Jazmin
im 16
i was adopted from brazil and i really want to find my family. i am scared they wont want me. I want to see if i ahve any siblings, There is a big part of me missing. i dont know how to find them as they live in a remote part of brazil.
can anyone help???
xxxx
jazmin_latino_pride

Postby j-h-g-5 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 pm

As you are only 16, it might be an idea to speak to your adopters first, if you haven't already done so.

They will have information on when and where you were born, or if they do not, will presumably have record of which agencies were used to facilitate the adoption in the first place.

I appreciate your need to know, but it is much harder to do this kind of tracing when you originate from abroad.

The BAAF might be able to provide some advice also. Their contact details are as follows:

BAAF Southern England
Saffron House,
6-10 Kirby Street,
London EC1N 8TS

Tel: 020 7421 2670/1
Fax: 020 7421 2601
email: southern@baaf.org.uk

BAAF Head Office
Saffron House,
6-10 Kirby Street,
London EC1N 8TS

Tel: 020 7421 2600
Fax: 020 7421 2601
email: mail@baaf.org.uk
Please join us on FACEBOOK, helping people affected by adoption & showing your support:
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10718147812
or use the After Adoption message system to send a PM.
j-h-g-5

Postby MiMi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:21 pm

Hiya, I totally understand how you feel i am 15 and am so desparate to find out about where i come from. I really wouldn't know where to start either to be honest. So all i can say is good luck and i hope you find all you are looking for! XxMx
MiMi

Postby j-h-g-5 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Obviously if you are adopted from within the UK, your task is a lot easier.

The law, however doesn't normally make provision for those under 18 to seek out their birth family.

If you are troubled in that regard, try first to enlist the support of your adopted parents, who may well be able to speak to the relevant social services/adoption agency on your behalf.

Quite often you will find that members of the birth family have left information for you to access in the future, but normally you can only get access to your actual adoption file at 18.

You could always ask to speak to a social worker yourself, but being under 18 could well mean that your legal guardian has to be informed.
Please join us on FACEBOOK, helping people affected by adoption & showing your support:
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10718147812
or use the After Adoption message system to send a PM.
j-h-g-5

Postby jazmin_latino_pride » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:00 am

MiMi wrote:Hiya, I totally understand how you feel i am 15 and am so desparate to find out about where i come from. I really wouldn't know where to start either to be honest. So all i can say is good luck and i hope you find all you are looking for! XxMx

o ryt its gd 2 c ppl feel da sme as me. i wish u luck and i hope u fynd hu ur lkin 4.
"LJ"
xxxx
jazmin_latino_pride

Postby stantheman11 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am

Hi
yes i know this is an very old post ,but i still would like to input my view ,
I would advice you to join as many forums as possible,that deal with traceing your birth family members.I find this so strange that nearly all people that or trying to trace birth family member,do not seem to understand that there birth family could be trying so hard to trace them,and thy or going to turn to the internet,Every forum that you can post on ,the better the chance of any of your birth members finding you.if thy do a search on google for your name,there is a good chance your post is going to show in the search result .Stop thinking what if your birth family do not want you,you shall never no this untill you trace them,so worry about this matter when it happens.

Stan
TRACE YOUR BIRTH FAMILY AND FRIENDS

http://www.dadpeter.co.uk
stantheman11

Postby ladyarcher » Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Good point Stan...........it can do with repeating frequently.........I too am amazed that so often people have only joined or posted on one site. I know that some of the sites require payment, and that can be difficult, especially for younger searchers who will probably not have a bank account that young..........or they will have to ask an a.parent, and that could also be difficult for them. Even adults who have a joint account may find that they do not want to explain a payment to their wife/husband/partner until further into their search, if at all...

I would like to put in a 'plug' for the Government Adoption Contact Register, which is also not well advertised or known about. Yes, it has to be paid for, and no, they do not do any form of tracing.........it is purely somewhere that you can leave a message to say you are searching, and also that you want to be found - that last bit is important. If the person you are searching for also puts a message on, then in the wonderful world of computers I assume, a light comes on somewhere, and a link is made. You are then notified, and so is the new searcher. You can opt to put - as I did - that you are happy to be contacted direct, and that your address can be given to the person, or you can specify a particular person, or agency to act as your intermediary.

So, if you are a birth mother, you leave notification that you want your b.child to find you if he/she searches.

If however, you are an adoptee, you leave a message that you want your b.mother and b.father, and any siblings or half siblings, or any other relative to find you. That can then cover siblings that find out later that their parent had a child previously, it will also cover grandparents who discover that they have a grandchild they did not know about, and aunts and uncles who may have found out later.........etc.

It does work........I don't know what their success rate is, or even if it is published........but 16 years ago I left a message on there for my full sister. We had been adopted by separate families....my a.mother did not want two children......my sister's a.mother would have had us both but it was too late, I had already gone........and she was not told that the baby she got had a full sister sixteen months older........so when my sister searched last year - at aged 63 - she got a double shock. Not only was there a message for her, it was from a full sister that she did not know she had.............such fun.........we are both delighted, and for me it was the successful conclusion to a search that I had been on for forty years, as I had found out about my full sister when I was 25 and looking for my b.mother.........

Anyway, the Register therefore, is a sort of 'sleeper' that only triggers when the second enquiry is made.........I would love to know how many successful links have been made........perhaps I will get round to asking some time...........

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found b.mother 1972 - sadly missed b.father who died young, but who had told his subsequent children that they had two English sisters, and to try to go on looking for us. No shock then, when I found them. Finally found full sister last year..........see above post.
ladyarcher

Return to Young People