We Want To Make It Legal...

Moderator: AfterAdoption

We Want To Make It Legal...

Postby Flea » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:55 pm

I am living with a man that isnt family (but the best family I have ever had). I am 17 years old and have lost both parents, I am currently under a Residencey Order (and a real family member is currently my legal guardian) because I am originally Canadian and living in the UK. However that runs out when I am 18 - me and Dad (steve) want to make it legal - I was wondering whether it is actually possible to be adopted after you are 18?

If this is possible we want to do it legally. Please help us be a family.
:D
Flea xxxxxxxx
What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it.
Flea

Postby elly » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Flea

There was another thread similar in that the guy wanted to find and adopt a family - he was 21.

I believe the answer was that once you are 18 you are legally an adult yourself so therefore adoption is not necessary because you don't need a legal guardian.

Ask an expert to confirm, but I think that's right.

You know, even if he can't officially be your father, he still can be to you both. It's just a piece of paper, the same as marriage. Things don't change - you won't feel any different towards each other.

Be Happy

Elly
:wink:
Re-United with Natural Mum 23rd Oct 2004
elly

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:35 pm

I WANT to be adopted! Dad has terminal cancer and I want him to be able to say that I am his daughter - and mean it, before he dies.

we came together in the strangest way - we are not even family by blood. I met dad because I was having a hard time and during the time that we spent together Dad saved my life. I returned to the people that I was living with a week later to find that they didnt want me any more. Dad took me in, and I swear to God it is as if we really are Father and Daughter.

We are going to see a solicitor tomorrow and find out for sure. Even if I dont need to be adopted I WANT to be adopted by Dad.

He is an amazing person that has not only saved my life but has given me my life back too.

If anyone can tell me for sure if this is possible - please let me know as soon as you can - I want this so badly, we both do.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:21 am

Elly is right, at 17, social services / courts will not consider adoption. Only in very extreme cases will adoption happen, for example if you were in some way disabled, and he was your care giver!!

The other option would be to have your name changed by deed poll? Although this would only be a little step, it is what you consider to be a father inside that counts, and the fact your feelings are so strong for him may count towards that.

Adoption is not the final solution, although it makes everything legal and will confirm who you are, it is a legal document, and at this point in time, it is somethig which may never happen.

wrong

Postby bucket495 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:09 am

I WANT to be adopted! Dad has terminal cancer and I want him to be able to say that I am his daughter - and mean it, before he dies.

Do you not think you were wrong?:X:X
bucket495

Return to Young People