Research on Adoption Support

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Research on Adoption Support

Postby Chloe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Hello,

I am currently at the University of Cambridge studying Sociology, and for my dissertation am researching the needs and perceptions of support amongst adoptive parents. As part of this I am conducting a short anonymous survey on parents’ experiences of informal and formal support. If you currently live in the United Kingdom and have had a child placed with you for adoption between 1 and 10 years ago then you are eligible, and I would be very grateful for your participation. Please follow the link below if you would like to participate:

http://cambridge.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID ... EDGwG6nyGF

Thank you!
Chloe

Re: Research on Adoption Support

Postby ladyarcher70 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi Chloe ....... good luck with your research, you have chosen a rather thorny subject for your dissertation........ also, I would suggest that concentrating on adopting parents will only give you a very small idea of how adoption works and affects people......there are, as someone once famously said about marriage.......three people in adoption........in fact, of course, there are more than three, but perhaps three groups would be accurate....

the child being adopted
its original parents
its original grandparents
its original siblings and other relatives

the adopting parents
possible siblings who are being added to, or perhaps siblings who will come after......
new grandparents
new other relatives and friends of the adopting couple

varied local authority or adoption agency workers

also bear in mind that a child is adopted in order to give it's new parents pleasure, and to fill what they perceive is a space, or hole, in their lives...... it is a great burden on a child who will eventually realise that the responsibility for making its parents happy, rests with it.......

I speak as a now fairly old adoptee........you may have seen other posts by me if you have read this forum to any extent.......
I, and many others, find adoption, from most of its angles, a poor and flawed system........however, it is difficult to think of any other system, so we are stuck with it for the moment.......

Also, remember, that the study of Sociology is never going to be an accurate substitute for actually living your life......

LA70
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found birth mother 1972 - sadly missed b.father who died young but had told his subsequent children that they had two English sisters, so when I made contact with them in Canada they were not shocked .......finally found full sister 5 years ago......we had been given to different couples for adoption......I found out about my full sister when I was 25..it took me 40 years to find her, I would never have given up.....
ladyarcher70

Postby sylvie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:26 pm

LA, you are right.

I think, though, that there are too few listening to those who experience complex feelings, including those of loss, as a result of adoption.

Unfortunately, After Adoption also seems to have fallen into this trap by marginalising these vital voices of experience. The lack of easy access to these forums from their webpage is telling.
Reunited with my beloved son after decades of separation which began when I was a young teenager and he was newly born, and finally ended a few years ago when we met again as fully-grown adults.
sylvie

Postby ladyarcher70 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 pm

I wonder why, Sylvie, that AA have taken the forum link off their 'front page'........ I think I did ask the question quite a long time ago, after it happened......but did not get a reply.......can't remember now.....I am sure though, that the lack of the direct link is probably why the forum is so quiet these days........just a few of us 'old lags' posting, and very few new people.........a lot of the different headings have had no posts for months, or longer......
Maybe we should all message AA again and ask them to put the forum back on their main page........what are they afraid of.......

LA70
ladyarcher70

Postby sylvie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:30 pm

The thing is, where will people hear how it feels by those who experience it?
Perhaps that's why we are being marginalised. There is money associated with adoptions. Perhaps we pop the adoption party with our message, based on experience, that adoption hurts, and remains painful all our lives, and that the real money should be spent on family preservation wherever that is possible.

Ladyarcher, I have been thinking of you and about your sister. I hope my thoughts help in some small way x
Reunited with my beloved son after decades of separation which began when I was a young teenager and he was newly born, and finally ended a few years ago when we met again as fully-grown adults.
sylvie

Return to Adoptive Families