adoption support needs.227 However, there is no requirement for those needs,
once assessed, to be met. Provision of support is at the discretion of local
authorities and thus varies considerably. The evidence we have received
almost universally calls for an entitlement to support to be introduced.228

Sorce
http://WWW.parliament.uk
Adoption: post-legislative scrutiny – select committee on adoption legislation
Chapter 7: Post-adoption support

I found this while i was researching my rights as an adoptive parent due to having issues with my children.
I was under the impression that Post adoptive support was a given imagin my supprise when i read this, in 10 years no one ever thought to mention this.
If you have the time suggest reading the whole document long but interesting.
chevy

Re: Post Adoption support

Postby ladyarcher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Very bad, Chevy .........and welcome to the boards, I am sorry that you are having trouble with your adopted children ............I have not read the full article that you quote from, but I have read about this some time ago, and also have talked to foster parents who have said that while they foster they receive all the help and support they need.......yet on adopting a child, the child becomes 'theirs' and they receive no more, or less support than any parent would get for a child born to them.........i.e. once an adoption has taken place the local authority have 'done their job' and can financially 'wash their hands' of the child.......now we know that many parents have problems with their children, and also that a child once adopted is viewed as the 'child of that parent', but you would think that given the potential for different problems from those of a birth child, someone somewhere would pay a bit of attention to struggling adoptive parents........I fear a lot of it comes down to finances as far as the local authority are concerned...........do please keep coming back to these boards for help and support because you will always find someone with similar problems or experiences who will help you..........

LA
ladyarcher

Postby chevy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Thankyou for your reply ladyarcher,
Finaly had a professonals meeting today and a positive result, the AFFU have agreed to a support plan involving them, the cafs team(i think thats what they are called)the school and my eldist sons disabilty socal worker after 2years of fighting, 1 week of jumping up and down and making my point loudly things are moveing on. My son has ADHD and RAD. The hope now is they help us to help to help him, the fight continues.
chevy

Postby Turtle » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 am

chevy wrote: 1 week of jumping up and down and making my point loudly things are moving on.

It is rather sad, chevy, that it takes that sort of action to make things happen, but good for you, for sticking with it.

Hope everything works out.
Turtle

Return to Adoptive Families