Research Request

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Research Request

Postby Naomi1981 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Naomi Green and I am a student at North Warwickshire and Hinckley College. I am currently on an Access to Higher Education course that will, hopefully, help me meet the criteria for a Social Work degree at University.

We have been tasked with a Research Project and have been told to consider a topic within our chosen Careers. As I know what I would like to do at University I was going to do something on Social Work.

I have friends of the family who have been through the Adoption Process and as the subject has been in the news recently, I thought it would be a good topic for my Research.

So why am I here? Well, I am asking for your help. My tutor thinks that to research the entire Adoption Process is too broad in the time we have been allocated (Project needs to be completed and submitted by May 2012). So I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback, good or bad, on elements of the Adoption Process that I could focus my research on.

If you are willing to give me some feedback, would you please also let me know if you would be willing to complete a questionnaire? Please be assured that all feedback/completed questionairre's/personal information will be kept confidential and my research will remain anonymous.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Naomi
Naomi1981

Re: Research Request

Postby ladyarcher » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Naomi.........your tutor is probably right about the adoption process as a whole being too big a subject to cover in such a short time....it would be more likely to take you a lifetime.
You might like to focus on the changing social parameters and the reasons for the children who are presented for adoption these days being very different to the reasons say sixty years ago. You could perhaps settle on the time frame of the present Queen's reign, but in fact to get a better view of the contrasts you would actually need to start your time frame during the years of WW2 when many children, myself included, were the product of relationships between people who would never have met if it had not been for the postings of wartime troops....

... Some were born of longish loving relationships, as were my full sister and myself..........these relationships came to an abrupt end when the war ended, and Americans and Canadians were sent back home, and British husbands returned home after several years abroad to find more children than they had left. Then there were also the sad and more desperate short relationships.....men, boys really, who had rarely left their own home areas, who suddenly found fear that they could die, and leave nothing to show they had ever been on the earth........you would also get.......very newsworthy at the moment...... mixed race babies, because the GIs troops stationed over here had African American men........plenty of racial discrimination there, when fathers found their daughters had 'been with a black man' ....... no chance of passing that baby off as a late 'change' baby of the girl's parents......

Then you came into the 1950s, and going in to the 1960s ........ often called the 'baby snatch years'...... possibly as a backlash to the war years, in the 50s and 60s the high moral ground was re-established along with the notion of 'fallen women'........ interesting that men were never considered 'fallen', despite the fact that it does, or certainly did then, take two ..............no IVF in those days.......and, of course, very little in the way of contraception........ even the advent of the 'pill' did not slow down illegitimate births greatly........ in parts of the country the 60s swung, but away from London, they were not really swinging that much....... a girl was still 'ruined'........ or 'no better than she should be......'

This is all touching on adoption from the 'outside' if you like........ it is almost impossible to sum it up in one sentence from the 'inside', either as an adoptee, or as a birth mother.....or as an adopting parent........... you can only say that there are as many different attitudes and feelings towards adoption as there are adoptees telling their stories......... there are obvious similarities, but generalisations are dangerous and often inaccurate........

Good luck......oh, and don't be a Social Worker...... be a Member of Parliament, so you can influence change.......change is needed, and probably not going to be successful the way they are talking at the moment.......

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found b.mother 1972 - sadly missed b.father who died young but who had told his subsequent children that they had two English sisters so when I made contact with them in Canada they were not shocked.......finally found full sister three years ago.......we had been given to different couples for adoption.......I found out about her when I was 25, it took me 40 years to find her........
ladyarcher

Postby ladyarcher » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Happy to do a questionnaire of course, if input from my age group is relevant....
LA
ladyarcher

Postby matt66 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Naomi

I'm also happy to complete a questionnaire if it will help you with your studies.

Regards

Matt
matt66

Postby julie2009 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Noami

I am also willing to help if I can in any way.

Julie
julie2009

Postby skyebluepink » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Naomi

I'm willing to help too.
Come and read my random musings at www.skyebluepink.com
skyebluepink

Postby Naomi1981 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. Its much appreciated. I am hoping to complete my questionairre and upload to the site by the end of the week. I will include my email address for you to return it. I would just like to reiterate that all the information collected in my research will remain confidential. I will not even ask your name on the questionairre.

Watch this space.

Many thanks

Naomi
Naomi1981

Postby ladyarcher » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing your questionnaire Naomi.....I am sure it will be interesting........
LA
ladyarcher

Return to Adoptive Families