Change the world...

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Change the world...

Postby sylvie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello everyone

Following the recent Australian National Apology for forced adoptions, and knowing that there is an Early Day Motion to prompt the same here in the UK, I wrote to my political representative the following email, which you are very welcome to borrow bits from if it helps. (You can find who represents you here http://www.writetothem.com)

I would be extremely grateful if you would sign the Early Day Motion 92. This EDM reflects the growing international awareness of the suffering and injustice experienced by those affected by forced adoptions, which culminated in the Australian Prime Minister's National Apology on March 21st 2013 (more information here http://www.pm.gov.au/press-office/natio ... -adoptions).

Britain now needs to do the same, and your signature will help greatly towards this end.

EDM 92 reads as follows:

FORCED CHILD ADOPTION

Session: 2012-13
Date tabled: 21.05.2012
Primary sponsor: Leech, John
Sponsors:
Durkan, Mark
George, Andrew
Hopkins, Kelvin
McDonnell, John
Shannon, Jim

That this House recognises the suffering that forced child adoptions during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s caused, which took place due to social pressures on women who had children outside of marriage; notes the unacceptable adoption and care practices of the past, such as not giving information about welfare services including housing and financial help which were available at the time and not questioning whether women putting their children up for adoption had given informed consent; further recognises the negligence of previous Governments, with regard to ensuring that the care provided for unmarried mothers was appropriate and that they and their children were not mistreated or discriminated against, resulting in many women suffering traumatising pre and post-natal experiences and children being denied contact with their birth parents; and calls on the Government to apologise in order to go some way toward helping the parents and children who were victims of these practices.

Yours sincerely,

Reunited with my beloved son after decades of separation which began when I was a young teenager and he was newly born, and finally ended a few years ago when we met again as fully-grown adults.
sylvie

Return to Birth Relatives