Can anyone help me???

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Can anyone help me???

Postby DMB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, it was suggested I try this site by someone from the family court in Bradford. Basically I was trying to trace my now deceased mothers birth relatives, unfortunately my mother wanted to do this many years ago but never got round to it. She was under the impression that the gentleman she new as her father Albert Broughton was indeed her birth father, who re-married Freda O'Neill when she was about 10/11 years old. Sadly this turned out not to be the case. I have recently recieved a copy of my mothers adoption cert.
What I do know is my mother was born on the 27th September 1938 in Dewsbury. She was adopted by an Albert Broughton and his wife Doris Broughton who's address at the time was 505 Manchester Road, Huddersfield. They adopted her on or around 18th May 1939 and the adoption order was made in the Juvenile court at Huddersfield Town Hall. I rang the family court in Huddersfield on Friday last and they told me that they only had records dating back to 1943, they suggested I ring Bradford Court and speak to the adoption clerk, i did this and they only had records dating back to 1940...alas i'm stuck now not knowing where to turn next.
So far I know that Albert Broughton married a lady named as Doris Battye/Chappell in 1935, we presume the reason for two surnames was due to the fact Doris had been married before. In fact there is a record of a Doris Chappell and Walter Battye having got married in Huddersfield in 1926, so now i'm wondering if in fact Doris was in fact my mothers birth mother, her 1st husband Walter was the birth father and he died leaving Doris to re-marry again and Doris's 2nd husband adopting her child???
I'm sorry if i've confused anyone reading this but it all seems very complicated, to me anyway.
I'm now not sure if i'm to go down the road of searching Battye's in the Huddersfield area or Chappell's....basically i'm hoping someone out there could help me. I'm desperate now to try getting a bit further in my search and would greatly appreciate help from anyone willing to to give their precious time.

Regards,

DMB
DMB

Return to Birth Relatives