A.A.A.D.D. (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder)

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

A.A.A.D.D. (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder)

Postby mh370malastsia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Recently I was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder). This is how it developed:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox, when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find the can of soda that I had been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the can of soda aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the soda is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigeratorto keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the soda, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye - they need to be watered.

I set the soda down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day

- the car isn't washed,

- the bills aren't paid,

- there is a warm can of soda sitting on the counter,

- the flowers don't have enough water,

- there is still only one check in my checkbook,

- I can't find the remote,

- I can't find my glasses, AND

- I don't remember what I did with the car keys!

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. LOL!!
mh370malastsia

Re: A.A.A.D.D. (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder)

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 pm

This would seem a perfectly normal day to me........ a good example of female multi-tasking...

...many years ago my second husband made the mistake of letting me hear him wonder what I did all day while he was at work.......at the time we had my two boys from my first marriage.....they were just at secondary school, a large dog.............. nearby my increasingly disabled a.mother and her dog which I walked with mine,........ a three year old girl with attitude,....... a six month old, and I was expecting no.5......I decided to write down everything I did during the day.......I recently came across the list that I wrote that day ..... I have lost it again now or I would reproduce it on here.......suffice to say that there was an awful lot of 'make bottle', 'change nappy' entries, and an awful lot of the same sort of list as yours, involving starting to do something and seeing something else that took priority, then having to leave that to see to a child or a baby or a dog......you get the picture...

...the thing is, that I am three weeks off 70 now, and all the same things still apply ..... except that I no longer have a dog,nor an a.mother ....... however we mind several grandchildren at some time of most days......another grandchild will be here in June ....... we have a large garden where we spend every hour that it is not raining .... seldom a day goes past without we are needed for something ..... older daughter lives across the road from us, and there will be 'dad, my boiler is making a funny noise' in the middle of the night ..... or son-in-law needs to borrow a saw, or oldest son needs help and advice re. he and his wife being about to move house .... or the phone will go, and one or other of them will either want something from town if we are going in, or have I got bisto, or cornflour, or a spare egg or two .....or youngest son who lives about 150 miles away will be having a crisis with his car ...... rarely will a day go by when we have actually achieved whatever the day's aim was at breakfast........but that's life, and a day that went by without one or other of the children in contact would feel like a very odd day......

LA
ladyarcher

Return to Chit Chat