Family Tree Sites??

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Family Tree Sites??

Postby Summerbaby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could advise me on good sites to use to find family tree information, I am an adoptee trying to trace back along my family tree and discover more about my heritage along the way. I've back as far as my Great Grandparents - around 1890s so far, as well as finding out their dates etc,... I'd love to try and discover what their trades were any any other background info I can.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thankyou.
Dreams do come true!
Summerbaby

Re: Family Tree Sites??

Postby Turtle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 am

I am registered with both Ancestry and Find my Past. You can sign up on both for a 14 day free trial. I like Find my Past the most, as the searches are more accurate. Ancestry does have other member's family trees which can be useful, particularly if you are lucky enough to find one with photos. However, they are not always as helpful as they appear, as the information can be wrong and then it gets continually copied in that form. In my experience, about 80% of the trees are wrong. It is easy to go back to the early 1800's, but after that, it can be a bit trickier, depending on which part of the country your ancestors lived in. It is then worth checking each site, to see if they have more information about a certain area. For example, Find my Past was helpful to me as it has a lot of records on the Devonshire area, which Ancestry simply doesn't have.

Another interesting site is the Mormon site, https://familysearch.org/ This is a free site and generally goes back further than the other sites. The only downside with it is that it can be very inaccurate, as not so much care was taken to type in the information. However, with a bit of double checking, it can be extremely helpful.
Turtle

Return to Chit Chat