a rather difficult topic to 'air'

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

a rather difficult topic to 'air'

Postby ladyarcher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 pm

This is a subject not exactly linked to adoption, but it could give rise to adoptions in the future........according to a programme on radio 4 today a study appears to show that there is getting to be such a high rate of abortion among certain cultural and religious groups that there is a strong possibility that they are 'sex choice' abortions.........i.e. at a particular point in pregnancy a scan can show the sex of the baby .......in certain cultures and religions boys are favoured....... therefore girls are being aborted .........there was discussion as to how this could be prevented.......

Interestingly, one of my daughters gave us the happy news at Christmas that she and her husband are expecting their first baby in the summer.......she has had two scans up to now, I think, and in conversation she and her sister were having they said that the scan operator is, apparently, not supposed to tell the sex of the baby early on, even if it is clearly visible to the operator......now my daughter and her husband were both there and quite obviously happy and not of an alternative ethnicity........ they don't know yet, because the baby was not in a position where they could see, but they do want to know..........I am old fashioned and would not have wanted to know......not that it was an option in those days anyway......I would guess that they may not tell us, but living close by that would be tricky as we would be bound to see a pink or blue nursery evolving.......

It is dreadful to think of those girls.......I think the programme referred to them as 'lost girls' ....... being aborted, and to think of how their mothers must feel....... some of the reports were very graphic with women having been mistreated and thrown down stairs in order to make them miscarry ........ such awful ignorance ....... why, I wanted to ask, were there not educational points made in schools, in biology lessons, to inform boys that it is the male whose part of the conception is responsible for the sex of the baby ........ Henry the Eighth didn't know this ...... it wasn't known then, but it is now...... there is no excuse.......

LA
ladyarcher

Return to Chit Chat