Spam

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Re: Spam

Postby athensrunner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 pm

LA

Probably the best way to describe an internet troll is from Wikipedia

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Unfortunately, whilst there are some trolls about in the online adoption community, we have been very lucky in that trolls on this forum are extremely rare... I don't think I have noticed any troll postings at all.
Birth mother in an international adoption

Feel free to read my ramblings as a birth mother
http://www.athensrunner.blogspot.com
athensrunner

Postby ladyarcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks AR ......... I had a vague idea it was something along these lines...........you have saved me from the jeers of my children........ :oops:

LA
ladyarcher

Postby Josie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 am

LA, you wouldn't know an inflammatory troll if you had one right in your face.
You'd just beautifully respond in your lovely non plussed and entirely reasonable way.

:-)
Josie

Postby Josie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 am

Trolls only live by being fired up by others :-)
Josie

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 am

athensrunner beat me to it ladyarcher.

Yes, a troll is someone with no interest in the topic being discussed on the site, for example on here they would have nothing to do with adoption. They would simply come on the site to cause trouble and upset people. They are nasty, small minded people with too much time on their hands. On larger sites, trolls can group together and bully and threaten individuals for no reason. They don't care who they upset, or who they pick on. They are extreme bullies.

I think that possibly this site only gets hit by spam because the posters are all older. I think maybe trolls get more of a "kick" out of hitting sites with younger members as they have more chance of causing distress, where as older members may have a better chance of shaking off abuse.

It is still not nice when it happens. I am glad that it hasn't really been a problem on here.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

Hooray!!!

The spam has gone. Things can return to normal at last.

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy some ugg boots............ :lol:
Turtle

Postby steven » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 am

Thank you for your messages regarding the issue of spam. We are currently reviewing the moderation of the forum and our filtering systems and we will be considering your helpful suggestions.

I have banned several users from the site for misuse.

We recognise that the forum is a valuable information resource for many and we wish to keep it free from this type of unsolicited mail. Spam mail continues to be a problem for public forums such as ours and your help in policing the site and identifying misuse is much appreciated.

Regards

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am

Thank you so much steven.
Turtle

Postby sylvie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Hurray!
Thanks!
Reunited with my beloved son after decades of separation which began when I was a young teenager and he was newly born, and finally ended a few years ago when we met again as fully-grown adults.
sylvie

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Don't cheer too soon everyone........Perfect-time and his golf club ads. are still here.........

LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

You'd better get back on to Steven then ladyarcher. I haven't spotted those ones.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Already did, Turtle, several hours ago.......
LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Well, I just found what you are talking about, so I will report the post as well.

They really do need some more moderators on here. It would be so easy to them to keep the spam at bay. They don't need to be able to do anything else.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 pm

You can't report a post twice. If you press the button, it just says it has already been reported. I am sure it didn't do that last time when we were all reporting those Ugg boot posts.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 pm

There are quite a few of them on the General Discussion about the Forum part of the board which tells people how to use the board, where we don't usually post ourselves, but sometimes new people do when they haven't quite worked out how it all fits together.........anyway the post is Perfect7time....... no area as to where he is........presumably male as posting about golf clubs.......also Hercinetom pops an ad about lingerie as a 'link' at the end of his posts, which sometimes have a bit to do with adoption on them, so moderator could be fooled into thinking they are genuine.......

As for reporting twice, I am not sure, but I think it is only ourselves individually who can't report the same post twice........ others can report things when they see them I assume........there were so many Ugg ads that I certainly lost track frequently of which ones I had already reported......and reported the same ones more than once.....and got the 'already reported' notice come up quite often....
LA
ladyarcher

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat