Spam

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Re: Spam

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Interestingly I have just had an e-mail back from Ugg Australia........isn't technology amazing ......... they thank me and are very sorry that this is causing us a problem and they have passed the information to their 'counterfeit' department, assuring me that this person is not anything to do with them....which we didn't think he/she was of course.........
LA
ladyarcher

Postby athensrunner » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Logged on to the site to day and found that this spamming idiot (sorry for the language) had taken the time to spam over 40ish post.... I googled the poster and found they have been banned from a couple of sites... I'm assuming it was for spamming... hopefully the moderators will now take notice.

I would suggest to the site admin on this site that we get a few more moderators, ideally any additional moderators should be one of the more regular posters.
Birth mother in an international adoption

Feel free to read my ramblings as a birth mother
http://www.athensrunner.blogspot.com
athensrunner

Postby skyebluepink » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm sure that if it is possible to have several moderators, several of us would be willing to do it.
Come and read my random musings at www.skyebluepink.com
skyebluepink

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi AthensR .......how are you doing.........

... the main problem seems to be that the site admin. take no notice of us........... we have been reporting these posts for ages, and messaging and e-mailing the so called moderator, Steven........who we are beginning to think simply does not exist at all.........if there is only one of him it will take him ages to check all the 'reports' that we have reported.......if this is the way it is done........don't really know.........but none of us has had the courtesy of a reply from him yet at all..........and I got a reply from Ugg Australia within an hour of having sent it........I would post it on here, but it had phone nos. and names on it, and I don't want to give our spammer somewhere else to send his rubbish easily..........

LA
ladyarcher

Postby athensrunner » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Lady A

I'm fine... I know I have been a bit quite on here but have had loads of stuff going on non adoption related. I hope you are doing well

I'm going to have a chat to a friend of mine who is in IT, he might be able to either tell us if there is a way to stop this spammer
Birth mother in an international adoption

Feel free to read my ramblings as a birth mother
http://www.athensrunner.blogspot.com
athensrunner

Postby Turtle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:40 pm

It is very hard to stop spammers as they keep changing their details eg email and ip addresses etc. There are sites were you can report them, but you would need the information that is only available to the forum admin to do so.

He could certainly easily be blocked from this site, if the admin would just wake up and do something.

Usually removing all the spam posts is easy. Most forums are set up so that you can remove all the posts made by one person, so a moderator would just be able to hit one button and get rid of the lot. I think when I looked at this Ugg person's profile earlier, he had made around 300 posts, but as I said, the moderator should be able to remove the whole lot in seconds.

Let's hope Ugg pursue him, then he really will regret ever coming on here.

I agree with you athensrunner. A couple of regular posters on here as moderators, would get this problem solved easily. We just need the site admin to agree to that instead of burying their heads in the sand.
Turtle

Postby Josie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi guys,
Just joining in the discussion here.... Just noticed how overloaded the boards are with the UGG boot spammers etc.
I emailed mods before I noticed this chat thread.
I hope After Adoption can sort this out - the forum is so important, the influx of spams does knock away at the culture of trust and safety that we hope to achieve here amongst ourselves.
The forum has become a valuable extension of the After Adoption service mission, in so many ways.... So come on AA, could you PLEASE give this board a good clean out? :-)

Trouble is, I STILL want a genuine pair of Uggies ....inspite of these ads. Although, I won't be touching these guys.:-)
Josie

Postby Donotunderstand » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm

If you click on the persons user name you can add friend or add foe. When you click add foe you get the following message

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

I've done this for two of the spammers and now their messages don't appear on all threads. I presume that it only works for me and others will need to do the same. Obviously it doesn't stop them posting and new members will still see all their garbage.
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby Turtle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm

This was such a brilliant idea Donotunderstand. I had assumed the foe thing just stopped PM's.

As you say, it still makes the site look a wreck to newbies so I doubt if we will get anyone else joining, but at least we don't have to plough through endless ugg boot adverts.

I think you deserve a gold star for that one Donotunderstand.........or would you like a pair of ugg boots. :lol:
Turtle

Postby Donotunderstand » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Gold star please!! I have seen how they get the fur for fake ugg boots and its vile and I would be very distressed if I got some of those by mistake. Sorry. :(
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby Turtle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:40 pm

A gold star it is then.
Turtle

Postby L12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 pm

I've just posted a comment on the "After Adoption" facebook page asking for them to take action against the forum spam... perhaps others may like to join me by doing the doing the same? :-)
Intercountry adoption at 6 days in 1969.
Found BM in Apr 2010 after 13 year search.
Discovered that BM has been married to BF for 40 yrs and i have 2 full siblings. Met birth family in Dec 2010 in England, spent an African Christmas with them in 2011.
L12

Postby stantheman11 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm

These spam bots or passing through the sign up and opening accounts, how this is being done god knows ,it is happening on lots of forum boards on the web,lots of websites or going offline through this its getting terrible now .
TRACE YOUR BIRTH FAMILY AND FRIENDS

http://www.dadpeter.co.uk
stantheman11

Postby Josie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

I posted this on a different part of the board - just a heads up..

Shite. These ads are really starting to be a problem.
Hopefully after weekend we can expect some action from our invisible moderator!
I remember a few years ago, PMs were exchanged between After Adoption and myself at a time when I had written on the forum that I was going to delete my membership.
The lovely lad who I communicated with said that the AA team of counsellors regularly read the forum, as our input was always valuable and helpful to the adoption community in general.
So, perhaps someone from AA will let us know when we can get our board cleaned up.
I doubt if they would let a registered user be a moderator, as the forum is connected to the organisation.
So there are possibly legal issues there. I mean, the moderator needs to be an AA employee or registered volunteer I'd guess?
Josie

Postby skyebluepink » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 am

Just had a thought - the newest member was added just over a week ago - surely we have been reporting posts and complaining for longer than that. So surely there is someone at AA actively involved with the forum in order for them to add new members.
Come and read my random musings at www.skyebluepink.com
skyebluepink

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat