Spam

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Spam

Postby Turtle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 am

I think we need to start reporting spam posted on this site. There seems to be a lot of it seeking on and if it doesn't get reported, we will soon be over run.

If you see any, I suggest you hit the report button and that will hopefully kick start the moderators into doing something.

If we let it drift, I think genuine people will stop using the site and the forum will just become one giant advertisement for ugg boots.
Turtle

Re: Spam

Postby ladyarcher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I am working my way through all the ugg boots spams, but it takes time, some have already been reported it says.......some have definitely been reported by me a while ago, and by others.........I wonder if an e-mail to Ugg themselves would be any use......... saying that their products are being brought into disrepute by this person........ one assumes that there is money to be made by doing this spamming, or surely people would not bother........just a thought....
LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

I doubt if Ugg care. There is something about ugg boots. The site I work on gets hit by endless ugg sales people. It may be that they are actually selling fakes, that wouldn't surprise me.

What if we all send a PM to the moderator/admin? Maybe if he gets a few PM's coming through, he might take notice. Personally, I think it is always a good idea to have a few moderators on a site. Splitting the work load makes a difference and really helps to keep the site spam free. Maybe some of the long term members would consider doing it? (They will already be known to the moderator and have a reputation, rather than an unknown newbie). It isn't a huge amount of work and I think would help the site to grow. There is nothing more off putting than going onto a forum and seeing that it isn't being moderated properly, especially when you are talking about such emotional issues.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Have just discovered that one can send a pm to the moderator called Steven...........so I have sent him one, perfectly politely, asking if he is the only moderator and if it is too much for one person, or if possibly he has been ill and not able to do it for a while.........hope this, along with others' enquiries, may have some results.........
LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes, that is who I sent a PM to about another topic (the intro's section that we were discussing). I am yet to get a reply.

I will also send one about the spam though, as perhaps if he gets a few PM's, he might react.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am

I see we have another 'advertiser' on board, called Forestmay .........I have already reported both the posts which have turned up on the ugg thread so may well be the same poster....... one is for golf clubs or balls......the other for cars.......

I also only just looked at the alternatives that we are given for the reason for reporting posts......... I am sure that others will have already looked, but I had just been writing my own without checking what was given on the drop down as options.....doh, blame old age..........so mine have been going through as the post reported because it has a virus.......... which it may have for all I know, but there is an 'advertising' option....... so I will use that in future.......don't know if it will make any difference......

LA
ladyarcher

Postby skyebluepink » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Quite simply unbelievable!!! Message to the admin sent!
Come and read my random musings at www.skyebluepink.com
skyebluepink

Postby Turtle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11 am

This is the problem. As soon as they know they can get away with it, they will just plaster the site.

Then the forum will become one big advert and no one will bother to use it. These people are just totally self centred.
Turtle

Postby Turtle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:17 am

Have just sent yet another message to Stephen. This time I sent an email, not a PM. No idea if that is going to make a difference.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I have also sent another message to 'Steven' ..I am beginning to wonder if he exists at all......

..... I have also just sent an e-mail to Ugg in Australia, probably no point really, as I am sure that they would not sanction this sort of behaviour and also Diabloiitems purports to be in Puerto Rico, which he/she probably is as the standard of written English is poor as we have noted........

I just keep reporting all the posts too, as we all are, however they seem to be increasing, and are now on a lot of the threads not just on the original one.....also there is Forestmay and Perfect-time, and Hercinetom.......all of whom are posting adverts.........Hercinetom sort of weasled his/her way onto the site by posting a couple of loosely adoption related posts at the beginning....... but he/she too, does not have a good command of written English and the mistakes are the sort of mistakes a foreign language speaker would make ........so I am wondering if all these people are one and the same .......and what on earth we can do about it....

.... I think there is a way to contact After Adoption themselves, but I do not know how much responsibility they have for the site, and we do not want them to just shut it down, which I suppose they could do if they think it has become a nuisance to them ......... as far as moderating is concerned, we just seem to be ignored altogether........

LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:21 pm

My hope is, that if Steven (who seems to be the only person in charge) has lost interesting in moderating the site, that he might be prepared to allow others to do it. He would still be admin and therefore in charge of the site, but would allow others on the site to take control of spam and more mundane stuff. This is what happened on the site I now moderate on. The guy in charge just got too busy to over see things, so he delegated to a couple of long standing members and it actually worked really well. The new moderators just kept the spam off the site and then got in touch with the admin guy if anything major came up. There is no reason why that wouldn't work well here. That way, the site could stay up and running, and wouldn't cause the admin any extra work or costs.

Well done for contacting Ugg, ladyarcher. My feeling is that the boots advertised on here are probably fakes, so they may be interested from that point of view. The trouble is, that they can't remove him off this site either. We don't actually know who he is, but hopefully they can trace him via his website.

I should think that we have several spammers on here, not one under different names. I think that probably spammers have lists of sites that they can hit. Once they find an easy target, they all join in. The amount of spammers around is amazingly high. I have no idea why they do it, probably just to hack people off, as I doubt if they get any sales of it. After all, the chances of anyone coming on here and deciding that they won't trace there birth mother after all, but hey, they'll get a pair of Ugg boots instead, must be small. :lol:
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Nice one Turtle, about getting a pair of boots instead of tracing b.parents........sadly for some people a pair of boots might be more of a comfort to them.........

My latest message to 'Steven' suggested to him that he is the spammer himself, as he is doing nothing to stop it :twisted: so that might get me a slap on the wrist ..........I would guess that you are right about the boots being fakes....... I can't see why anyone would do this anyway, unless they actually had access to supplies of the boots.......or the other things that are getting advertised .......and would make something out of it, or get paid to do it.......can't see any point otherwise........although I also can't see any point in people dropping litter, or smashing windows of shops, or bending wipers off cars etc.......so, as you say, maybe they just do it to annoy.........and certainly in that case they succeed, as I for one, am very annoyed........

How does one get someone to give up being a moderator and let someone else do it ......... I had, as I said before, always thought that moderators were proper paid employees of the site they moderated........particularly in this sort of a site where people are posting a lot of very confidential information about themselves .......perhaps Steven will do us all a favour and 'man up' and do his job, or let someone else do it who is more up to speed.......

LA
ladyarcher

Postby Turtle » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Someone once explained to me the technical reasons behind why these people spam. Unfortunately, I can remember what they were, my memory is not good. :roll: There is some advantage to plastering your details all over the web. Apart from that, I think they mainly do it to be annoying. I feel sorry for them really. What sad little lives they must lead to want to spend ages attacking an adoption web site.

It may be, if we can suggest to Steven that he allows someone else to take over the more day to day spam and troll checking, that he may jump at the chance. A lot of these admin people like the idea of being in charge of something, but don't want to do the boring day to day stuff. As I have said before, moderating a site is pretty straight forward. I just spend about 15 minutes a day on the site I work on, checking for spammers and trolls. Once the site is being regularly checked, it is very easy to keep on top of it.

I love the idea that you think that moderators are paid. I might run that past my admin guy. :lol: Actually, I just enjoy doing it. It is my way of paying the site back for the help and support that it has provided me with in the past.
Turtle

Postby ann65 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm

I sent a message to moderator this morning before I saw this post .

I hope some one at AFTER ADOPTION takes some notice soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann
Adopted 1965 , finally got the courage to make contact Jan 2011 after having my file for four years .I am still in regular contact with both my b.mum and half sister.I couldn't have wished for a better outcome .
ann65

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Well Ann65....the more the merrier......keep up the good work

..but from our experiences in getting a result or a reply, or rather lack of them, I really wouldn't hold your breath.....

LA
ladyarcher

Next

Return to Chit Chat