Hello from long ago!

Just general chat

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Hello from long ago!

Postby JJ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 am

Hi all,

I haven't been around for ages (due to spending the last 3 months recovering from an op that went wrong which put me in intensive care for over a month with multiple organ failure and then on the ward for a further 3 months where I had renal failure for the 2nd time...)

Anyway - I probably won't have 'met' most of you, but if you are relatively new to this forum, welcome! And you have chosen a great place to go for support and help. I can credit one member with directly finding my birth father nearly 3 years ago; it was a hugely difficult search as he was born on a boat in the Pacific Ocean! He then travelled extensively with his family. Although he was initially shocked at my 'arrival', (as he knew nothing about my existence!) he and I now happily correspond loads by email, sending each other photos, funny stories, heartfelt thoughts etc. It's great, and I can't thank my AA Forum friend enough! (They know who they are... 8) )

As far as birth mother - oh dear. She never told a soul about me, only her mother and her aunt knew - and they are both long gone from this world. She sends Christmas and birthday cards and presents, but refuses to let me phone her or contact her by letter - she has kept her address secret, or so she thinks - isn't t'internet great?! Anyway, my husband took it upon himself to phone her when I was in intensive care and explain the situation.. her response? 'Please don't phone this number again.' I met her twice about 4 years ago and I'm glad I did as it helped to complete 'the jigsaw', but she's too terrified of being found out and we are very very different people entirely. I think, if Im honest, she's a little ashamed of me - I don't wear the right labels, or lunch in the right places (I don't 'lunch' at all! Shock!!!) She hasn't contacted me at all, doesn't even know (care?) if I'm alive or dead.

My birth father - totally different. We haven't yet met as he lives in another continent and neither of us can afford the travel expense, but I hope one day we will hook up.

Right, that's more than enough ramblings from me - just wanted to say Hi to old friends and Welcome to new ones - I hope that, whatever your story, you can find support and friendship here - it's a funny old business, adoption.

Take care, JJ x
JJ

Re: Hello from long ago!

Postby ann65 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your op and do hope you are fully recovered soon . I am also sorry that your b.mum has not bothered to find out how you are I assume she thought she would be told if anything happened to you !
You are right adoption is a very funny business and people don't understand how it can make you feel unless you are adopted.

Annx
Adopted 1965 , finally got the courage to make contact Jan 2011 after having my file for four years .I am still in regular contact with both my b.mum and half sister.I couldn't have wished for a better outcome .
ann65

Postby Highland Lassie1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Just wanted to say "hello" and I do hope that you and your bf get to meet up one day, wouldn't that be fabulous!! I hope you make a full recovery soon.

HL x
Adopted at 8wks, now 41. Made contact with BM June 2010, met one sister on Saturday 28th Aug 2010, met BM on 20th October 2010, met other sister on December 2010. Now trying to establish contact with BF.
Highland Lassie1

Postby lilit » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Hey JJ! I hope you're on the mend and that you and your bdad manage to meet soon.

Another "long lost" poster here. Life is good, I have now got two beautiful children of my own (one is asleep next to me in his little cot as I type :) ) and am still in contact with my birth family - made possible by the international man of mystery himself, I assume that's the forum friend to whom you refer!

It seems like years since I posted regularly and I suppose it is - I made contact with my birth mother in 2008 and haven't felt the need to post or read here much since.

Best wishes to you and hi to any other "old" faces if they are reading this (John of course, Matt, Lady A, Diane, Mnenka, Wendy et al).
lilit

Postby Josie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi JJ,
I have only just noticed this post -totally missed it :-(
So sorry to read about your health JJ, that must have been very frightening for you and your family. Sounds like you have recovered well - thank goodness for modern medicine.
Just wanted to send my warm regards to you,
Take care ((((hug)))
Josie.
Josie

Return to Chit Chat