what on earth

Got something to say about the forum? Have your say here

what on earth

Postby ladyarcher » Thu May 26, 2011 12:45 pm

What on earth has happened to the lay out of the forum board....... what was wrong with it as it was, easy to use, gentle on the eyes, clear and concise to find one's way around..... have you never heard the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't mend it'........what are all these flashing and starred post indicators about. The fact that they were slightly darker if there was a new post was quite sufficient to draw one's attention, and a quick glance at the date of the latest post was enough to confirm it..........there appears to be no explanation about the new layout, or if there is then it is on the bit that we cannot view without having a password.......not one's own password it would appear, but some other one that we have not yet been given.....what is the point of that.......
Presumably some sums of money have been paid out to someone to design this 'new updated' look......... money that could have been better spent on helping further the cause of open information for adoptees by way of lobbying MPs or whatever other consciousness raising that could be done.........
LA
ladyarcher

Re: what on earth

Postby MD » Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 am

LA, the software used to power this forum is free. From time to time a new version is released to add features or plug security holes. I'm guessing that security is why we have been upgraded. It is different from the previous version, but for the sake of securing our data, I'd say it is probably worth getting use to the changes... Of course, I have no involvement in maintaining this forum, so there could well be another reason for the changes:-D
Struggling with small talk since 1969
MD

Postby steven » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi LA,

just to update you on what we've been up to.

The old forums didn't have any method of preventing spam registrations - this meant that we had hundreds of 'people' joining the forum every day, of which one or two were real people and the others were spam of the kind none of us want to see on this (or any!) forum. As you can imagine the effort to filter out all of this spam was becoming more and more and so we've upgraded the forums to to a version which can block it automatically.

What this means is that we should have a lot more time to respond to posts and to activate real people's accounts faster, and also look to developing how the forums work. The current layout is just the default - we thought it better to move to the new forums as soon as possible as people were waiting to join - but we will be looking to improving it (possibly closer to how it used to be!) in the near future. As MD says the forum software is free which is great as we can focus our resources on providing the services that so many of us need.

Hope this helps - feel free to reply or PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Iain Moore
Business Development and Communications Manager, After Adoption
steven
Site Admin

Postby ladyarcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks so much for the explanations AA.......... I, and I am sure many others, had no idea that there was such a thing as spam registrations, why, or how anyone would bother to do this if they had no interest in the site is quite beyond me......or perhaps its not even 'real' people who are registering the spam unreal people, perhaps it is some cyber-land thingy..... ...anyway, hopefully the site will get ironed out soon as it is a most valuable help and resource to many people.......... I look forward to it being back to near to its original format as soon as you are able. Thank you again for the explations..........
LA
ladyarcher

Return to General discussion about the forum