Half brother contacting our granddad, what's my next move?

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Should I send my letter...

STRAIGHT AWAY
No votes
IN A FEW WEEKS AFTER GRANDDAD HAS READ MY HALF BROTHER'S LETTER
No votes
WAIT FOR GRANDDAD'S RESPONSE AND DECIDE IF I SHOULD SEND MY LETTER AT ALL
No votes
WAIT FOR GRANDDAD'S RESPONSE AND SEND MY LETTER REGARDLESS OF HIS RESPONSE
No votes

Total votes : 0

Half brother contacting our granddad, what's my next move?

Postby marshen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

Hi All.

I've been in touch with my half brother for over a year now since he got in touch after seeing one of my posts on the net searching for my birth father. We've met a couple of times and talk a few times a week, most weeks.

He's as frustrated as I am as, his (our) mother never told him that she gave me up for adoption when she was 17, he found a letter from my local council that was sent to our mother when I tried to make contact.

I have met my granddad a couple of times and he has sent birthday and xmas cards for the past 3 years except last xmas.
Unfortunately granddad is stuck in the middle as after he met me he spoke to his daughter (our mother) but she doesn't want to deal with everything right now. However my granddad doesn't know that I've been in touch and met one of his other grandsons, a awkward situation I'm sure you agree.

After meeting my half brother a couple of weeks ago we have both decided to write to him explaining our feelings, that we've met each other and how we want to move forward with our lives. My half brother sent his letter yesterday and he's very nervous about the outcome.
I'm yet to send my letter, I'm thinking that i should wait a few weeks to see if granddad responds to my half brother's letter.

Any advice or support would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark
marshen

Return to Adopted People