Finding my birth mother?

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Finding my birth mother?

Postby lucy5555 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 pm

I tried to find my birth parents when I was 18 but found out that meeting them whilst my birth father is still alive would be dangerous. I need to find out if my birth father is still alive or not. If he isn't then I want to try and find my mother. If I ring up social services and ask if they could find out this information would they be able to? And how long would it take?
lucy5555

Re: Finding my birth mother?

Postby ladyarcher70 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Hello Lucy 5555, and welcome..........sorry not to have replied sooner.......I have not logged on recently.

With regard to your birth father.....is it a long time since you were 18 and likely that he has died...... your best way of finding out would be to send for a death certificate.......you can of course only do this if you know exactly his name and other details like a middle name.....area where he lived etc, last address if you know it...his parents' names.........that sort of thing......you need to make sure that you have the right person.........then ask for a search in the deaths index .....

I would try this first, as Social Services can take a very long time to process requests, although you might be lucky......... you say it would be dangerous to look for your birth mother while your birth father is alive. ....... were you taken from your birth parents by social services, and at what age......, because if so there would probably be a record of Court proceedings with most likely a 'Place of Safety' order made on your behalf ......

You can, of course, go to the Government Records Office, at Kew, near London, and search the records yourself........time consuming, and getting there might be inconvenient depending on where you live......

Not sure that I have been much help...... but good luck, and keep coming back here as others may be of more help than I.......

LadyArcher70
born 1944 -adopted 1946
ladyarcher70

Return to Adopted People