Self funding adoption record search

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Self funding adoption record search

Postby longstone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi,
Not sure if this request is a feasible option but I've given up with my local authority funded access for my adoption file. I know I have a paper file as I had a resume from it some 5 years ago, but I now want full access to my file and an being told it does not exist.
Can anyone recommend a self funding route that I can have faith with?
longstone

Re: Self funding adoption record search

Postby ladyarcher70 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello, Longstone, and welcome.......

There have been so many stories like this over the years that I have been a member of this group........ I think that the short answer is that actually, for the most part, local authorities just don't care. I am 70 years old now........ I spent forty years looking for my full sister who was adopted separately to me........I did a lot of my own research in the days before the internet.......I supplied Surrey CC with my full birth details including b.parents' names, where I was born, b.father's army no. etc. hospital I was born in, and the names of the registrar that registered my birth, and the one that registered my adoption..........and of course, my adopted name, dates, a.parents......etc.......I had all the same details for my full sister except her new name..........however we were only 16 months apart in age, and all the registrar details were the same as mine, so she was obviously not far away from me...... Surrey have always denied any knowledge of me, or my sister........eventually, six years ago, my sister actually decided to do some searching of her own.......her social worker checked the Adoption Contact Register........ my message was sitting there waiting, as it had been for 15 years.......we were linked within hours......I was right in that she had grown up a mere ten miles away from me ....... I ought to make the effort to contact Surrey a third time, just to see if they still deny all knowledge of us both.......I won't bother as my life is quite full enough, but it would be interesting.......it was a Surrey Soc.Worker who was allocated to my sister......

I think that probably your best option.....which is not a route that most people want to take, is to contact the Jeremy Kyle Show........he does occasionally do adoption searches, and the high public profile can shame authorities into pulling out fingers........the other option of course is the other tv one of Long Lost Family ......... both these progs. are of course, very public, and public is not where most of us want to go with such a personal search ........ but if things had gone on much longer I probably would have taken that route myself.....I had already done a radio appeal some years earlier, and the internet is still peppered with appeals I have put out over the years since the internet started........

Good luck
LA70
born 1944 - adopted 1946
ladyarcher70

Postby Donotunderstand » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:20 am

Perhaps you could contact your local MP to help with getting the LA to look for your file?
Aunt to a sibling group split up by Adoption and Residence Orders. Mum to birth children age 28 & 26, and adopted 14 year old (youngest of the sibling group)
Donotunderstand

Postby ladyarcher70 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 pm

I tried the Member of Parliament route some years ago when I was living in Hampshire.........all I got was a basic advice letter, pointing me to my local authority, and not even signed by the MP........ obviously my letter had not been read with any intelligence, as I had clearly said that I had no help from the Local Authority ....

.... in theory, of course, one's MP should take note of, and help adoptees.......if only because adoptees are his constituents, just as much as anyone else with a problem concerning their Local Authority, and in fact there should be a total rethink over adoptions from the past.......because there are as many interpretations of how to 'help' adoptees as there are local authorities.......so there should be a complete overview done, and a 'blanket' solution set by Central Govt.......to stop the mish-mash of ways of dealing with adoptees, and birth parents, and siblings ........

LA
ladyarcher70

Postby julie2009 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Longstone

I managed to trace my paper file also just last year. I contacted the agency who handled the adoption being 1971. I was handed copies of my records and to honest they only existed of several pages nothing really of significance to be truthful except for a handwritten letter from my BM which I desperately wanted to see as I never got to know her.

You say you know you have a file as it was retrieved 5 years ago. I think your file has been misfiled or possibly lost which is not acceptable.
Did you put your request in writing to someone higher within your local authority. Sometimes I think if they tell people something cannot be traced the person then gives up and decides to take it no further but if I was you I would or even try to arrange a meeting and speak to someone in person.

Let me know how you get on.

Julie xx
julie2009

Postby longstone » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi All,
Remiss of me not to get back to this thread. I gave up on the local authority route and applied directly to the agency. Guess what despite all assurance that the local authority (SS) and had applied unsuccessfully, they had not applied to the correct agency!! These people are playing with hearts here!!
Having approached the agency direct they allowed me to visit and inspect personally - and photo copied items at my request. BIG THANKYOU TO THE DONCASTER ADOPTION AGENCY.
Don't give up people its you right.
longstone

Postby JJ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 am

I'm glad you finally got to see your file. You're right; they are playing with people's hearts.

For twenty years I believed my counsellor's assertion that no records could be found and that my search had come to a dead end.
Quite by chance I discovered in my late 40s where my records were held and there was a huge amount of information available, in the form of letters and transcripts of phone calls, from the second half of my mother's pregnancy until I was 15 years old.
If I had been able to make the connection with my birth family in my 20s, things would have been very different.
Written on red on the front of the folder were the words 'Birth mother regrets giving this baby up and would like to be contacted immediately if Jennifer (my birth name) should ever find this folder and wish to be re-connected.' There was a phone number, too, which remained current for all those years.
My birth mother's dream finally came true, but she felt it was too late to tell her children, as they were all adults and might look on her unfavourably.
She died a few years after we met, having never found the courage to tell her children.

I am now in touch with my half brothers and half sister and it has all turned out well, despite the rather dismissive attitude of that counsellor all those years ago.
JJ

Return to Adopted People