Support Groups

Ask members of TALKadoption about any adoption related issues.

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Support Groups

Postby athensrunner » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I have noticed that despite searching online, I cannot find any supports groups for birth parents, or adoption in general in London...I'm not asking for much...I just want the chance to meet up with others affected by adoption on occasions...is that too much to ask for? The only groups I have seen for adoptees not for birth parents.

Anyway, an American friend said to me "you cannot wait for the engraved invitation", so here it goes...if you are in the London area...what do you think...should we set up our own group...nothing special...just a meet up ever couple of months for a coffee or something just to be able to be with people who share some of your experiences...rather than having friends or family (no matter how well meaning they are) saying I feel for you...wouldn't it be better to say to someone that I understand that is how I feel?

I'm not talking group therapy or anything like that...I just want a chance to hear/say "That is the way I feel" or "I get you" at the same time as offer a hug or a tissue to the person I am talking too. Should we be able to set something up...and we need a professional to join us...we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

PM me if you are interested.
Birth mother in an international adoption

Feel free to read my ramblings as a birth mother
http://www.athensrunner.blogspot.com
athensrunner

Re: Support Groups

Postby ladyarcher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 pm

I hope lots of people have sent you a pm ARunner.....

..I can't imagine how you feel from being so close to your son and not touching him or talking to him...........truly you are a 'real' mother, in that you have held back from your own desire and need, in order to ensure that his life is kept smooth at this time.....
LA
ladyarcher

Postby athensrunner » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Thank you for your kind words LA.

Sometimes, I feel that I should just take the bull by the horn and contact him...other times I wonder if I would ever get the chance to speak to him...but I have learnt that patience is a must in adoption...and that my son's feeling is the most important thing to me...so if that makes me a "real" mother or a bad mother I do not know.

Still no takers for the "support" group...actually, there are three of us so far...we just need to organise our first get together...anyone interested can join the facebook group London Birth Family Support Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/868995319792602.

athensrunner

Postby cleo » Fri May 23, 2014 7:40 am

i'd like to come to one of your meetings but not an easy option for me unless i come and visit the family and stop off in London for the day,, maybe we could sort something out when i know i'm next over
cleo

Postby athensrunner » Fri May 23, 2014 7:50 am

Cleo

The support group is still not set up and active as such..but next time you are in London...please let me know...we can sit down and have a coffee and a chat...for the moment..we are the sum total of two how get a chance to speak on a regular basis. There are four of us on the FB group...as soon as we have about about 10 members I intend to arrange our first meeting.

However, anyone who are in the London area who are interested just PM me and we can arrange a meet up.

athensrunner

Return to Talking adoption