My file?

Ask members of TALKadoption about any adoption related issues.

Moderator: AfterAdoption

My file?

Postby Summerbaby » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm

I am in contact with my Birth family, but am wondering what kind of information might be in my file if I was to request it. Also how do you go about requesting your adoption file?
Dreams do come true!
Summerbaby

Re: My file?

Postby Turtle » Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I am just in the process of doing this Summerbaby.

You need to contact your local authority and they will arrange a meeting with a social worker for you to ask for access for the files and fill in various forms.

This is the site for Hampshire, but it will lead you to other councils. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-serv ... option.htm

I did that bit six weeks ago, and have yet to hear anything. It is supposed to be a slow process. Most people seem to think around six months, although some are quicker. My social worker said the longest one took a year.

According to people on here, the information in the files is all different, so it is just down to luck what you find out. I was told that they would only provide me with certain parts of the file (because of the time and cost of doing it). So I had to say if there were specific things I was looking for. I asked for my father's name and my mother's signature. It will be interesting to see what they eventually come up with.

You can read about accessing files in this thread I started. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2568
Turtle

Postby Summerbaby » Fri May 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello,

Thankyou for replying, have you heard anymore? Good luck with your enquiries, I hope your questions are answered within your files.

I am in contact with my Birth family, but an curious (I suppose naturally) to find out all I can, and wonder what information/ pen pictures of people at the time, it would give me an outsiders (non family members) view on what people were like at that time. Also might fill in some gaps between my birth and adoption.

That why I wondered what sort of stuff might be included in the file.
Dreams do come true!
Summerbaby

Postby Turtle » Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I haven't heard anything yet - it has been 7 weeks.

You might find this thread interesting, if you haven't seen it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2531
Turtle

Postby Summerbaby » Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 pm

I hadn't seen it, thankyou :)

It seems that there is no way of knowing exactly what may be in it. It will be interesting to discover!!
Dreams do come true!
Summerbaby

Postby Turtle » Fri May 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, the contents just seem to be done to luck. Not only that, there is then the second problem, that they will only share part of the file contents with you.
Turtle

Postby ladyarcher » Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm

I have never seen my file........Surrey deny all knowledge of me despite the fact that I have my original birth cert. and names and addresses of my b.parents, my birth father's army rank and number etc....... and the hospital I was born in ....... for Surrey I do not exist.......nor, when I asked for information about her, did they have any note of my full sister........despite the fact that I supplied them with her birth cert, and her birth name, and the information that we had obviously both been adopted in Surrey, and close to each other because the Registrar attesting to the adoption was the same for both of us, as was the Registrar who registered our births just over a year apart....and I had checked with the Registry Office that both these registrars worked at that time and in that place....
....I don't think my sister got very much info. when she applied four years ago, because as soon as she applied it triggered my message that had been on the Govt. Contact Register for 15 years........so Surrey had to do next to nothing about finding her records,............ I already had all the information about our b.parents ........

LA
ladyarcher

Return to Talking adoption