Would you like to talk about your experience?

Ask members of TALKadoption about any adoption related issues.

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Re: Would you like to talk about your experience?

Postby maxi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Better Understanding

I'd be interested in taking part but woudl not be able to meet up with you in person due to the distances involved. Not sure if this is any use to you?

maxi
maxi

Postby Better Understanding » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am

Hi Maxi, thank you for your interest in the study. Where are you based? It may be possible to do the interview over the phone or Skype if a face to face interview is not possible and if this is something you would be comfortable with?
Better Understanding

Postby ladyarcher » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi again Roshni ....

....did you ever manage to get any high profile adoptees to talk to you........such as I suggested......journalist.- Kate Aidie, and the actor, John Nettles.........another person who might give you a very sad experience of being adopted is the son of the actress who is in New Tricks and plays Brian's wife.......can't think of her name......think it is Susan something........she had a baby boy in the swinging sixties, but her career was just taking off, so she had him adopted..........when he traced her recently, I think it was last year, she refused to have anything to do with him.........according to the papers......and he was very upset .......... never too sure how accurate the media is in these instances.........

......there are of course, lots of us who had reasonable adopted childhood experiences, but who very much disapprove of a lot of the later treatment of adoptees who want information.......don't know if you have managed to find people to give this point of view..........

Quite difficult, I would think, to draw all the experiences together in your 'writing up'.........anyway, good luck with it......

LA
ladyarcher

Postby Better Understanding » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Hi LA!

I agree, it's definitely going to be difficult to write up the findings from this study, as each experience is so different. However, as the study focuses on forming and maintaining relationships, I'll be mainly writing around that area, as well as other common experiences etc. It is hard, and probably why so many people choose to do quantitative research, as it's far easier to just say 'ok this number of people felt this, this number of people experienced this' but I would like to go a little deeper into people's experiences as I think it's so much more complicated than quantitative research suggests! I think the hope for me from this study is that it does spark enough interest in people to continue talking to people who have been adopted, to expand upon finding out what the most common positive and negative experiences are, as well as the more individual ones, so people do begin to get a better idea of the long term impact of being adopted. It's such a complex area but I hope this study does lead to more, maybe bigger, studies.

I haven't been able to get in touch with any of the high profile adoptees unfortunately! I have had some more interest in the study however, which is great, and I'm genuinely grateful for everyone who has taken part, as I understand it's really not an easy thing to talk about.
Better Understanding

Previous

Return to Talking adoption