Would you like to talk about your experience?

Ask members of TALKadoption about any adoption related issues.

Moderator: AfterAdoption

Would you like to talk about your experience?

Postby Better Understanding » Sun May 13, 2012 3:50 pm

My name is Roshni Gandecha. I am a student at Middlesex University studying for an MSc in Applied Psychology. I am researching the effects of adoption on forming and maintaining meaningful relationships in adulthood. As part of my research I am interviewing people who have been adopted as children.

I would like to hear your account of your experience and understanding, as despite the considerable literature dealing with adoption, few studies have focused on the impact of adoption on adults’ relationships, particularly from the point of view of people who have been adopted. Most studies conducted on adoption have focused on facts and figures as opposed to the actual experiences and feelings of adult adoptees. It is very important to me to be able to gain a deeper understanding of the long term effects of adoption, from the point of view of those who experience it.

If you agree to participate in the research study, you will be asked to take part in a one-on-one interview with the researcher, lasting around one hour. All information you provide will be completely anonymous and confidential. Nothing in the reported findings could be traced back to you. Your participation is entirely voluntary and you have the unconditional right to withdraw at any time.

If you, or someone you know, would like to take part, or would like further information about the study, please contact me by email.

Thank you for your help,

Roshni Gandecha
RG561@live.mdx.ac.uk
Better Understanding

Re: Would you like to talk about your experience?

Postby ladyarcher » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Roshni........ nice to hear of someone taking an interest in what we adult adoptees actually think and feel, for a change....... as you say, many studies concentrate on statistics........if you want an oldish adoptee, I would be happy to talk to you........

I was born in 1944, one of the many 'war babies,' children of servicemen who had been posted to the uk, and beyond, during the war.......in my case my father was Canadian, already married in Canada shortly before coming to England, but with, at that time, no children of the marriage.......my birth mother's husband, on returning from his own posting, was not impressed to find more children than he had left........ hence I was put up for adoption, along with my full sister who is sixteen months younger than I........, we were separated and sent to different couples for adoption.........I found out about her when I was 25, and spent the next forty years looking for her, eventually finding her three years ago...she had never known our story, and did not know about me, so quite a surprise for her......

.... my sister and I are not typical adoptees in the public perception of adoptees and adoption, but actually, you will find that there is no such thing as a 'typical adoptee' ....... either in our 'pre-quels' i.e. the reasons we were adopted, nor in our 'sequels'...... how we developed as adopted children, and progressed to being adults with our own lives............so you will find that a generalisation about adoptees and their feelings is pretty well impossible.........

Feel free to send me a PM through this site if you would like further contact.........

LA
born 1944 - adopted 1946 - found b.mother 1972 - sadly missed b.father who died young, but who had told his subsequent children that they had two English sisters, so when I made contact with them in Canada they were not shocked....... finally found full sister three years ago, having searched for her for forty years.........
ladyarcher

Postby skyebluepink » Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Roshni

I would be happy to take part in your reserach

PM me if you would like further contact
Come and read my random musings at www.skyebluepink.com
skyebluepink

Postby julie2009 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Roshni

I wouldn't be able to take part in a one to one interview as I reside in Northern Ireland but I would be happy to help you in your research in other ways if possible.

Julie
julie2009

Postby Better Understanding » Tue May 15, 2012 11:01 am

Thank you for all your replies so far- I really appreciate it. I'm getting all my papers together at the moment- consent forms, information sheets etc, so I will definitely be in touch soon, and please feel free to email me if you have any further questions in the meantime.
Better Understanding

Postby Better Understanding » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi everybody,

Thanks to everyone who has responded and shown interest in the study so far. I'm still looking for more participants, so if you, or anybody you know would like to talk about your experiences, and hopefully help contribute to a better understanding of the long term effects of adoption from the point of view of those who have been adopted, or would just like some more information on the study before deciding whether or not to be involved, please do get in touch with me, either via this forum or by emailing me at RG561@live.mdx.ac.uk

Thank you.
Better Understanding

Postby julie2009 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Roshni - I take it the questionnarie can be completed via this forum.

I would be happy to participate but I must add I have never met any of my birth relatives on a personal basis only through letter or email.

Julie xx
julie2009

Postby Better Understanding » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Julie,

It's actually not a questionnaire, as it's a qualitative study. The interview takes the form of a dialogue, giving the participant the opportunity to talk openly and freely about their experience, rather than being limited to answering questions on a rating scale. The interview can be conducted over Skype, however the preferred method is a face to face interview if possible, as this reduces the likelihood of interruption due to connection problems etc; however, it is not possible to send the questions via email as there are no set questions.
Better Understanding

Postby julie2009 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 am

Sorry Roshni - I must have read the email wrong. I don't live in England and I don't have access to Skype either.

Sorry I can't assist you in your study.

Good luck anyway

Julie xx
julie2009

Postby Better Understanding » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:12 am

Not to worry Julie, thank you for your interest in the study. If you know anyone that would be interested and able to take part, please do let them know as I really believe the study could hold great value in increasing the depth of awareness of the long term experience of adoption from the point of view of those who have been adopted, rather than a statistical view. Thanks again.
Better Understanding

Postby Better Understanding » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let anyone who is interested know that I am still looking for roughly 6-8 participants for this study. If you or anyone you know would be interested in finding out more about the study, please do contact me, either by private message or email at RG561@live.mdx.ac.uk.

Thank you.
Better Understanding

Postby L12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi, I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience, LA thought you still needed people.
I'm away on holiday till wed 8th Aug x
Intercountry adoption at 6 days in 1969.
Found BM in Apr 2010 after 13 year search.
Discovered that BM has been married to BF for 40 yrs and i have 2 full siblings. Met birth family in Dec 2010 in England, spent an African Christmas with them in 2011.
L12

Postby Better Understanding » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 am

Hi L12,

That would be great. When you get back from holiday I would appreciate if you could send me an email at rg561@live.mdx.a.c.uk and I'll reply with the information sheet.

We can then organise a date and time to conduct the interview.

Thank you very much for your interest in taking part in the study.
Better Understanding

Postby Better Understanding » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi all,

I am still looking for more people to take part in this study. At present there have been studies conducted which quantify the experience of adoption but don't give any real indication as to how it actually feels to have been adopted, or how the life experiences of an adopted individual may differ from an individual who has been brought up by their birth mother and/or father. I truly believe the more that people speak of their experiences of adoption, the more knowledge we gain of it and will hopefully as a society gain a much better understanding of the long term effects of adoption, enabling people to make much better informed decisions. If anybody is interested in participating or would like some more information please contact me on rg561@live.mdx.ac.uk or send me a private message with your contact details and I'll be in touch as soon as possible. Thank you sincerely to anybody who is interested in taking part - I'm hoping this study is just the start of a much deeper understanding of the effects of adoption.
Better Understanding

Postby Better Understanding » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of the period in which I can actually conduct the research as I'll need to start writing up soon, so if there is anyone who is interested in talking about their experience of being adopted, or if anyone knows anyone who has been adopted that isn't on this forum that might be interested please do contact me soon on rg561@live.mdx.ac.uk as I do still need a few more people to make the research 'valid'. I genuinely believe it could be valuable, if for no other reason than to inspire more qualitative research into this area, taking a look at what the long term impacts on adoptees actually are, as opposed to just quantifying them and taking away the true feelings and emotions involved. I think it would be a great shame to miss the opportunity to have the voices of adopted people heard. Thank you.
Better Understanding

Next

Return to Talking adoption